Modem Locked Up
chemist867

Back in May I asked for guidence in installing a third party router.  It was suggested that I set up my Westell 6100G modem in Bridge Mode.  (I was chemist867 then)

Initially, I ignored this advice.  However, I was constantly turning my modem off and on to restore an internet connection.  I gave Bridge Mode a second thought and started the set up according to Verizon instructions.

My modem locked up during the APPLY step and I lost access to the modem and the internet. (currently using my phone to create a hotspot).  

Any suggestions on how to fix the problem?  Please keep in mind that I do not have internet access on that system.

0 Likes
Re: Modem Locked Up
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the modem locked up while hitting apply, try to factory reset it. Hold down the reset button on the back of the modem for 30 seconds (or whenever the Red power light appears) and then release the button. This should reset the config back to normal, if the modem locked up during write.

chemist8671
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the info.  I am still having problems getting back on line with my Vista system.  My network keeps saying "Local Only".  I have no idea what changed on my computer during this mistep to cause this problem.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Some people usually suggest setting a Static IP on the PC while bridging the modem. Do you remember entering your network settings to do this? You may want to double check to make sure your PC is set to DHCP and has DNS Servers being supplied via DHCP. DHCP mode is otherwise known as "automatic" mode.

Also, if you are plugged directly into the modem and it happens to be bridged, there is a chance that DHCP is disabled on the modem. This is a good thing as it tends to mean less issues for getting a secondary router configured.

chemist8671
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  You nailed it.

Final question (I hope); why do I need to reboot my modem (Westell 6100G) several times daily to restore internet connection?  Is there anyway to fix this?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Your line might be dropping due to a bad signal. If you are able to get to the Westell 6100G's administration pages still, try visiting the following page and posting up the information displayed:

http://192.168.1.1/htmlV/transtat.asp

In bridge mode, you may have to configure a Static IP on your PC temporarily first to get to the modem. This depends on how you went about bridging the modem.

0 Likes
chemist8671
Enthusiast - Level 2
Transceiver Statistics Transceiver Revision 3.3.6.10.0.1 Vendor ID Code 4D54 Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt Data Path FAST Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1184 448 Margin (dB) 22.9 6.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 41.8 23.0 Transmit Power (dBm) 6.4 -2.-6
0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@chemist867 wrote:
Transceiver Statistics Transceiver Revision 3.3.6.10.0.1 Vendor ID Code 4D54 Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt Data Path FAST Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1184 448 Margin (dB) 22.9 6.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 41.8 23.0 Transmit Power (dBm) 6.4 -2.-6

Those statistics are not being reported correctly. You cannot have a negative transmit power. In addition, a margin of 6dB would be on the verge of dropping - most DSLAMs would retrain if that were true. You're likely plugged into an old Catena Networks DSLAM on Verizon's end which is causing the incorrect stats to be displayed.

With that said, we're going to need Verizon's help. They need to check for congestion and trouble with the equipment on their end, and monitor your line for any reason as to why your line is dropping. They should be able to put a 24 hour monitor/trap on your line to do this like they typically did in the past. In addition, on your end, please check your landline if you have one for any signs of noise, static, humming, or buzzing which seems out of place. Your line should be silent when you kill the dial tone with the phone off of the hook.

0 Likes
chemist8671
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks.  For the million dollar question; how do I get Verizon to help?  I have not been able to contact them.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

See the support information found here: http://www.verizon.com/support/residential/contact-us/index.htm

Live chat is a good route to go, as you can likely explain the problem a bit better and see some more results. Phone-wise, you should get the same done, but I recommend bypassing the phone menu by pressing 0 once you get to the main menu. When you press 0, you'll still be asked for some options as to what you're calling about, but you don't have any nonsense to deal with. I've had good luck in this method with getting someone within 5 minutes.

Just don't call in the evening.