Modem Problem
Stiffler13

So this was happening on my old Modem, so i called and ordered a new one and it still happening exactly the same..

The best way i could describe it is my modem keeps loosing DSL connection and disconnecting my PC/Xbox. i've tried everything you can think of twice to get it working consistently and it just wont... so please refrain form the usual mumbo jumbo of reset your modem, pc, both.. ect.

The DSL Light on the modem will start flashing green like it is tiring to reset, then when/if it stops the internet light will be solid green but alas, no connection.. getting really frustrating. Haven't called tech support yet because every time i get on to notice this it is really late at night. i had enough time to find this form and now as i type this it went out again and i have no connectivity. It will eventually connect itself, after like 5ish minutes just to go out again in like 2 minutes.

Modem is Model 7500, just got it today not sure the make, think its Westell

Windows Network Diagnostics says its the DNS, Modem contanly says "Connecting! Your Gateway is not  Ready for Internet Access" while it is out

0 Likes
Re: Modem Problem
pattyandme
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having a similar problem with a westall adsl2 modem. It only happens when I try and connect to COD4 mw. The IP will drop and the modem will get locked. I have to shut the modem off and wait for 1 min then turn it back on and wait for it to renew its IP clicking repair in network connections will not fix the problem.

I did a clean boot system restore from an image and this problem started then never had the problem before I clean booted the PC.

I am thinking it is a modem setting but can't access the modem itself to see if there something I am missing in my setting for the firewall.

I was able to connect once I opened the proper ports [ UDP TCP ]  manually in the windows firewall the 1st time.

but still have intermittent issues regularly.

0 Likes
jadedjay

I have problems logging on to the internet at times, as the ethernet light does not come on. My modem is a westell 6100, & my dest top has a Vista platform. I also have two laptops, on uses Vista & one 7. They have no problems using the same modem. The only way I can get the desktop to log on is to shut down the desktop & modem, pull the power plug from the desktop, put it back in & power up the desktop & modem. This does not work every time. Is it time for a new modem?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Stiffler12 and pattyandme: Can both of you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem? If you need help getting them, you can either Google search or ask for them. I would also like to see the logs from your modem. If you can upload a copy/paste of the log as a Post Attachment OR pastebin.com the log, that would be great.

@jadedjay: The Westell 6100 shoudn't need replacement. When the connection drops out on your desktop, DO NOT Reboot the modem. You're free to reboot the PC but here is what I need you to do. Log into the modem and provide your modem's logs so we can see what the deal is. If you have a router attached to the modem, I would verify that while your PC is down, the other PCs in your home are up and able to connect without issue. Sounds like we have a bit to rule out in your case.

0 Likes
pattyandme
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well that was one of the intermintent issues i was having was i was unable to log into the modem as well. the issue i was having was with gaming servers in piticular cod4 modern warfare. after trying to open router posrts in the modem fire wall which was set to allow all no security lol and manualy opening ports in the windows fire wall which didnt help ireverted them by deleting the open pots in the fire wall and assiging the port per program in windows fire wall as origional setup and working fine .

I did not have an issue until i clean booted and restored to an Image backup.

I did try and use the optimiser for verizon but i was getting dep erroras and it woulnt run .

I found this http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php  a software.exe downloadable optimeser for dsl online as i have only tried to connect twice whit sucesss sience running this program and havent had any issuses as of yet but still hoping for the best.

I am not sure but the image was setup with roadrunner service broadband and i think it may have been the NIC settings for the protocals (Just a guess)

I tried to find a little more information on the settings for the westell 6100 but alas westell support doesnt give out the manual guide for this because they sold this unit to verizon and they send everyone back to verizon for information lol thats the big joke as far as finding any information about help or service support the only help system verizon has is people like you who volenteer there time to help others..lol

I guess thats why the service is so inexpencive that and there fading out the dsl before they can offer Fios which i would like to have but is unavalable in my area hell id sign a 5 year contract if they brought it here.

any way

if i srtill have the same issue you will be getting another reply soon.

thanks for your intrest.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem. If the modem acts up again, ensure UPnP is disabled. As far as the image goes, the image being built at a time where a Roadrunner connection was in use shouldn't make a difference. The protocols used to talk to the equipment is the same.

0 Likes
pattyandme
Enthusiast - Level 2

havening an issuse posting the log file

having the same problem connecting to the gaming server here is a clean log of the problem

Jan 1 00:02:00                       daemon.err                       statsd[137]:                       DSL_FIO_VERSION_INFORMATION_GET ioctl failed in supplyStat

Jan 1 00:01:39                       daemon.err                       statsd[137]:                       DSL_FIO_VERSION_INFORMATION_GET ioctl failed in supplyStat

Jan 1 00:01:33                       daemon.err                       statsd[137]:                       DSL_FIO_VERSION_INFORMATION_GET ioctl failed in supplyStat

Jan 1 00:01:23                       daemon.err                       statsd[137]:                       DSL_FIO_VERSION_INFORMATION_GET ioctl failed in supplyStat

Jan 1 00:01:20                       daemon.err                       statsd[137]:                       DSL_FIO_VERSION_INFORMATION_GET ioctl failed in supplyStat

Jan 1 00:01:19                       user.debug                       syslog:                       AllLanDevices_Handler: Nothing On List

Jan 1 00:01:12                       daemon.err                       statsd[137]:                       DSL_FIO_VERSION_INFORMATION_GET ioctl failed in supplyStat

Jan 1 00:01:11                       user.debug                       syslog:                       AllLanDevices_Handler: Nothing On List

Jan 1 00:01:03                       daemon.err                       statsd[137]:                       DSL_FIO_VERSION_INFORMATION_GET ioctl failed in supplyStat

Jan 1 00:00:58                       daemon.err                       net_mgr[163]:                       PPPKICK: pppoe_getstate failed

Jan 1 00:00:58                       user.notice                       root:                       ppp0 started on nas1

Jan 1 00:00:58                       daemon.notice                       pppd[1478]:                       Westell PPP Environment:device:nas1 ppplogname:root orig_uid:0

Jan 1 00:00:58                       daemon.notice                       pppd[1478]:                       pppd 2.4.2 started by root,uid 0

Jan 1 00:00:57                       daemon.notice                       pppd[1477]:                       Westell PPP Environment:orig_uid:0

Jan 1 00:00:57                       daemon.info                       pppd[1477]:                       Plugin holdoffrandom.so loaded.

Jan 1 00:00:57                       daemon.info                       pppd[1477]:                       Plugin ppphooker.so loaded.

Jan 1 00:00:57                       daemon.info                       pppd[1477]:                       RP-PPPoE plugin version 3.3 compiled against pppd 2.4.2

Jan 1 00:00:57                       daemon.info                       pppd[1477]:                       Plugin rp-pppoe33.so loaded.

Jan 1 00:00:57                       daemon.notice                       net_mgr[163]:                       FirewallConfig_update: Done configuring firewall

Jan 1 00:00:47                       daemon.info                       dnsmasq[149]:                       DHCPACK(br0) 192.168.1.36  

0 Likes
pattyandme
Enthusiast - Level 2

00:12:3f:7d:35:83 HOMEOFFICE

Jan 1 00:00:47                       daemon.info                       dnsmasq[149]:                       DHCPREQUEST(br0) 192.168.1.36 00:12:3f:7d:35:83

Jan 1 00:00:47                       daemon.info                       dnsmasq[149]:                       DHCPOFFER(br0) 192.168.1.36 00:12:3f:7d:35:83

Jan 1 00:00:47                       daemon.info                       dnsmasq[149]:                       DHCPDISCOVER(br0) 192.168.1.36 00:12:3f:7d:35:83

Jan 1 00:00:47                       daemon.info                       dnsmasq[149]:                       using nameserver 10.2.2.2#53

Jan 1 00:00:47                       daemon.info                       dnsmasq[149]:                       reading /var/etc/resolv.conf

Jan 1 00:00:43                       daemon.info                       pppoe-relay[832]:                       Set promiscuous mode on br0 with type 0x8863

0 Likes
pattyandme
Enthusiast - Level 2

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.info                       kernel:                       device br0 entered promiscuous mode

Jan 1 00:00:43                       daemon.notice                       net_mgr[163]:                       FirewallConfig_update: setting firewall to None

Jan 1 00:00:43                       daemon.info                       pvc2684d:                       Communicating over ATM 0.0.35,encapsulation:LLC

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       ppe_open(0.35): conn = 0

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       qsb_queue_vbr_parameter_table.dword = 0x00000000

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       qsb_queue_vbr_parameter_table.bit.taus = 0

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       qsb_queue_vbr_parameter_table.bit.ts = 0

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       qsb_queue_parameter_table.dword = 0x3FFF0000

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       qsb_queue_parameter_table.bit.vbr = 0

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       qsb_queue_parameter_table.bit.wfqf = 16383 (0x00003FFF)

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       qsb_queue_parameter_table.bit.tp = 0

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       qsb_clk = 133333333

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       QVPT: QSB_RTM (BE1B002C) = 0x00000000,QSB_RTD (BE1B0030) = 0x00000000,QSB_RAMAC (BE1B0034) = 0x88000001

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       QPT: QSB_RTM (BE1B002C) = 0x00000000,QSB_RTD (BE1B0030) = 0x3FFF0000,QSB_RAMAC (BE1B0034) = 0x81000001

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       cell delay var:0

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       max burst size:0

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       sustained rate:0

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       min pcr 0

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       desired pcr -1

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       max pcr 0

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       traffic class ATM_UBR

Jan 1 00:00:43                       user.warn                       kernel:                       TX QoS

Jan 1 00:00:43                       daemon.info                       pvc2684d:                       Interface nas1 created sucessfully

Jan 1 00:00:43                       daemon.notice                       net_mgr[163]:                       WanConfig: DSL upstream PCR 2000

Jan 1 00:00:43                       daemon.notice                       net_mgr[163]:                       WanConfig: Plumbing activeWAN:nas1:PPPoE

Jan 1 00:00:40                       daemon.notice                       net_mgr[163]:                       SIPALGConfig: disabled

Jan 1 00:00:40                       user.info                       kernel:                       br0: topology change detected,propagating

Jan 1 00:00:40                       user.info                       kernel:                       br0: port 2(usb0) entering forwarding state

Jan 1 00:00:40                       user.info                       kernel:                       br0: topology change detected,propagating

Jan 1 00:00:40                       user.info                       kernel:                       br0: port 1(eth0) entering forwarding state

Jan 1 00:00:40                       daemon.notice                       net_mgr[163]:                       All Routes transitioning to Up state.

Jan 1 00:00:40                       daemon.notice                       net_mgr[163]:                       All Routes transitioning to Down state.

Jan 1 00:00:40                       daemon.notice                       net_mgr[163]:                       RIPConfig: no interfaces are enabled

Jan 1 00:00:39                       daemon.notice                       net_mgr[163]:                       FirewallDoSConfig_update: Done configuring DoS

Jan 1 00:00:39                       user.warn                       kernel:                       ip_nat_pptp version 1.5 loaded

Jan 1 00:00:39                       user.warn                       kernel:                       ip_conntrack_pptp version 1.9 loaded

Jan 1 00:00:37                       user.info                       kernel:                       br0: port 2(usb0) entering learning state

Jan 1 00:00:37                       user.info                       kernel:                       device usb0 entered promiscuous mode

Jan 1 00:00:37                       user.info                       kernel:                       br0: port 1(eth0) entering learning state

Jan 1 00:00:37                       daemon.warn                       dnsmasq[149]:                       no address range available for DHCP request via eth0

Jan 1 00:00:37                       daemon.warn                       dnsmasq[149]:                       no address range available for DHCP request via eth0

Jan 1 00:00:30                       syslog.info                       syslogd                       started: BusyBox v1.1.3

end of diagnostic log file

0 Likes
pattyandme
Enthusiast - Level 2

Transceiver Revision  3.3.6.10.0.1
Vendor ID Code  4D54
Line Mode  ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path FAST

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 1184 448
Margin (dB) 34.3 21.0