Moving computer -- dsl not working on 2 jacks ==
JCath
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hoping (after spending 3 hours being passed between DSL and phone support) that someone on this forum can offer some ideas on why my phones work on all  of my phone jacks, but when I move my computer downstairs and try to plug it in (tried 2 different jacks) the DSL won't connect; but, it will connect on 2 different jacks upstairs.  One Support person told me I could only keep it where it was.  DSL people say it is a phone problem; phone people say it is a DSL problem.  Anyone have a similar problem or ideas on what to check, I'm all ears!  Filters are where they should be, so that has already been checked; and phones work properly in all of the jacks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Moving computer -- dsl not working on 2 jacks ==
JCath
Enthusiast - Level 1

Finally convinced Verizon it was their problem and DSL guy was here yesterday.  We only use one phone number and had filters on all the phones. However, at the Verizon box outside of our home, there are several lines coming into the house. Although the website says you can move your computer "anywhere" in your home, that apparently depends on how the technicians have things set at the box.  They did not have the DSL coming in on all lines (same phone number, just go to different areas) to our house. The guy said that it makes things slower if they hook it up that way, so they normally only put it on one.  The one it was on was the line going to the jacks that are upstairs.  So, he changed it to come in on a line coming into our first floor and it now works on any of the phone jacks on that floor. But . if we ever want tto move he router back upstairs, we'll have to call them again to switch it (and hope it doesn't take 3+ hours convincing them....) Another interesting tidbit -- he also told us that they put a filter outside at the box so we don't really need to have the filters on all of our phones inside of the house.  Sounds like the technicians and the customer service folks need to have some chat sessions so they all have the same information.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 The filters must be installed on all devices other than the DSL modem.

#2 You have at least, four jacks.

Two up stairs.

Two down stairs.

^^

Are all four jacks the same phone number?

For example if the two phone jacks up stairs are 610-868-0001 and the two phone jacks down stairs are 610-868-0002 - this will cause issue(s).

-> Only answer the question. Do not post your phone number(s). -
0 Likes
JCath
Enthusiast - Level 1

Finally convinced Verizon it was their problem and DSL guy was here yesterday.  We only use one phone number and had filters on all the phones. However, at the Verizon box outside of our home, there are several lines coming into the house. Although the website says you can move your computer "anywhere" in your home, that apparently depends on how the technicians have things set at the box.  They did not have the DSL coming in on all lines (same phone number, just go to different areas) to our house. The guy said that it makes things slower if they hook it up that way, so they normally only put it on one.  The one it was on was the line going to the jacks that are upstairs.  So, he changed it to come in on a line coming into our first floor and it now works on any of the phone jacks on that floor. But . if we ever want tto move he router back upstairs, we'll have to call them again to switch it (and hope it doesn't take 3+ hours convincing them....) Another interesting tidbit -- he also told us that they put a filter outside at the box so we don't really need to have the filters on all of our phones inside of the house.  Sounds like the technicians and the customer service folks need to have some chat sessions so they all have the same information.