my high speed internet installation hangs
The_Whale
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a mac running Safari 4.3.1 and Firefox 3.6.23 and can't seem to get beyond SmartAccess, I get an "the flow will not proceed due to the MISSING HAND-OFF parameters: Customertype" etc..

I know the DSL line and the internet are connected, but a get an unsupported browser message after I connect to the DSL modem and attempt to surf the net.

thanks for any help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: my high speed internet installation hangs
The_Whale
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey it's fixed.  I used a different notebook computer and went through the process without any issues whatsoever, this issue was with some modem setting  Now I'm using my mac to type this.  Thanks a lot.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What modem are you currently using? It sounds like we just need to disable the Walled Garden in the modem. Did you get far enough to set up a Verizon account or haven't you gotten there? Does www.google.com load up or does it get redirected to a Verizon page?

The_Whale
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a Westel 7500 modem.  I get redirected to the Verizon page as if I don't have an account, but I'm pretty sure I've gotten far enough in previous tries that I do actually have a Verizon account.

thanks

0 Likes
The_Whale
Enthusiast - Level 2

and just to be clear, I get redirected to the Verizon page when attempting to access any website after connecting via wifi to the modem.

0 Likes
The_Whale
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hey it's fixed.  I used a different notebook computer and went through the process without any issues whatsoever, this issue was with some modem setting  Now I'm using my mac to type this.  Thanks a lot.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I point and quote from

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-DSL-and-Dial/Installing-Verizon-Internet-DSL-on-Mac...

turns out that the Mac "Smart Activate" does NOT work on Macs! Isn't that a laugh?

Here's what you do:

Open Safari

type in 192.168.1.1\Verizon\redirect.htm into the address bar

This will get you into administer the modem.

The administrator's name is admin

The password is password; if password doesn't work, use admin

Then go into "User Settings"

Change the folowing to Admin

Username  (type in admin)

Password (type in admin)

Re-Type password (type in admin)

You will press "okay' or whatever, it will send you to a "restricted page." When you reach it, press the "disable" button.

Close out, then reboot your computer. You should be able to connect. At least, that's what Oswaldo in Mexico said.

I find it inconceivable that Verizon would KNOWINGLY give us software that does NOT work on Mac computers!

^^

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad to hear the problem has been solved. For future reference, keep the text that dslr above has provided. All you need to do on the Westell 7500 to get online after a Factory Reset or after a modem replacement is the above. It takes far less time than running the Activation Wizard and can be done from anything with a web browser.

The_Whale
Enthusiast - Level 2

You know, I tried that solution before i started this thread and it didn't work.  If I remember correctly I never got to the "restricted page" and its "disable" button.  Maybe an update to the above directions with a bit more clarity at that step may be useful for the next person with this problem.

I know I changed the password on the modem because I got a prompt when I ran the application wizard with a different computer.

I also had the application wizard keep popping up whenever Firefox opened a new window, but I (finally) fixed that.

Anyway, thanks a lot you all for the help.