My new connection is unbelievably slow
Reggie1221

I realize that I am not the first one saying this, but please bear with me, I had to wait for 2 months to get a connection to my apartment because apparently DSL was not available in my area (even though all the neighboring apartments had it for years). Then, I waited patiently for 15 days for the service ready date while the customer service reps assured me that given the flurry of orders, this is the best they can do. Finally, after my 3 Mbps line was activated yesterday, I thought I coudl go back to normal life, but not so. The connection is excruciatingly slow. I get download speed of 110 Kbps and upload speed of 20 Kbps- a far cry from a 3 Mbps connection. It does not make a difference if I use Wi-fi or conenct it through LAN. I run Vista on my system so it is pre-optimized for best modem settings. I have tried every common sense tweak that has been recommended here (resetting the modem, freeing up hard disk space, trying it at 2 AM in the morning). Nothing seems to solve the problem. I am extremely frustrated because after living wihtout internet for 3 months I expected a decent connection. I would like to say otherwise but the customer service is completely inefficient in dealing with matters like this. Your mileage may vary is hardly an explanation when you are dangerously close to dial-up speeds on a connection that is supposed to >10 X times faster. A 3 minute video on youtube takes a good 20 minutes to load. WHy is it so slow? Since many of you seems to have had this problem, have you guys been able to fix your problem?

0 Likes
Re: My new connection is unbelievably slow
DSLCustomer

I'm in the same boat so I can relate. I haven't seen any improvement in my speed because reps either don't want to talk to me or they can't help me. I assume reps are tired of hearing about this issue all the time. I guess DSL is the modern equivalent of dial-up internet. It's the lowest costing internet service and runs on outdated phone lines.

0 Likes
freddyrich315
Enthusiast - Level 2

Maybe your having a hardeware or actual line problem? I only have 1mpb service and I cannot complain at all about it. I can see the speed difference from Road Runner, but for 1/3 of the price, I am totally happy with the speed. My wife surfs the net while I play Xbox Live with no lag. So maybe its more than the service, have you actually checked the speed or going by what it says on the connection bubble?

0 Likes
Kenjiii

I have the same issue, I already made over 10 calls for tech supports and had technician come over my place and said to switch the router on their side of the central office. And the results were the same, i have about 500-800 kbps for download speed average during the night starting from 6:00pm eastern time till i don't know what time in the morning.

0 Likes