my new desktop will not read my dsl setup cd.
spicyt

Ok, we got a new computer due to our old one was fried. We have our original dsl setup cd to hook up the modem and router to the new computer but it wont read the disk. It was read once, the first time it was put in, but i accidently pressed cancel. and now it wont read. it reads in other computers and other discs can be read on the computer...but not the setup. and tried booting it from the boot menu, and "run" menu. It acts like it loads for a few min then says no disk or insert disk. Any ideas or know of an online download i can do to save to a disk or sd or flash then onto this desktop? PLEASE HELP!

0 Likes
Re: my new desktop will not read my dsl setup cd.
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

I'm going to cobble together my responses from another thread about this here.

There is no software required for an internet connection.

The activation cd can install some shortcuts, but those can be manually added and are not necessary.

It can configure your pop3 client if you prefer using a client to Verizon's webmail, but this can also be done manually.

It can walk you through getting a "portal partner" (Yahoo or AOL), but this is optional, and the partnering can be done elsewhere as well, usually from the My Account page.

It can help you in initially setting up your username and password. This can also be done via the My Account page.

It can configure your modem/router settings, this can also be done manually by accessing the modem/router's GUI.

All the activation cd and site do is string all of the processes together.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish with the install/activation CD? If I know what you're trying to accomplish, I can try to get that alternate method for you.

0 Likes