My new Modem 6100f keeps kicking off the net for 30 seconds
stickybean

ok i just got the new 6100F modem and for some reason the internet light goes out for 30 seconds to 1 minute and its random.

So like today i work from home and in 8 hours it went out 11 times. Anyone know of verizon internet issues in the washington, state

stanwood- snohomish area? Is is this 6100F modem junk?

0 Likes
Re: My new Modem 6100f keeps kicking off the net for 30 seconds
stickybean
ok i called them up and sure enough they said my line was ok and they didn't know what it was. So they are going to send me a new one but still a brand new modem and it craps out. Well hopefully the new one works but now a have funky net for the next few days.
0 Likes
bizzybee44

This is verizon {word filter avoidance}

I've been having this problem for a year.  I've replaced the modem three times. 

My next shot at it will be a completely different modem.  When I told tech support I was going to do that, they told me I couldn't - it only worked with their modems.  Tech told me last week that is a lie.

If you google, you'll see MANY customers out there with this issue.  I believe it is the Westell software.

Questions:

- Do you have more than one device trying to connect?

- Does it get better after you power off the modem (at least better for a little while)?

Message Edited by KaLin on 04-22-2009 08:30 AM
0 Likes
stickybean
well i have it going right to a router but i have a couple pc's running off the router so it went out on both systems. And sometimes it was doing better after a reboot but not much i changed out my phone RJ-11 cable to see if that works and so far so good but im not having much hope in that.
0 Likes
stickybean
but question for you do you have your phone cable/ RJ-11 wrapped up with a twist tie? Kinda like how you got it in the box new?
0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Just wondering, do you have the Westell 6100f in bridge mode and have the Linksys router handling the public IP OR do you have it in router mode?

My Action: Points at

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

All DSLR (dslreports.com) FAQs » Verizon Online DSL FAQ » Hardware » How do I use a router with the Westell 6100?

0 Likes
stickybean

ya it didn't work in bridge mode at all. And once the modem was working again but not in bridge mode li called linksys and had them work around the settings on the modem.

But yesterday my new modem was kicking off all day to the point i lost count. I did have that long RJ-11 cable that came with it i think it was around 6 to 12 feet.But i had it wrapped up like it came in the box but with just a little bit of it out. I think because of the wire in a coil it made a magnetic field and was messing up the signal in the wire so i replace it with a short 3 foot regular RJ-11 cable and in 24 hours i only had 1 small drop off that i noticed with the new cable. or the cable that came with it was bad but im still testing out the new wire.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Very interesting, something about the cable - That makes sense.

The full details about that cable ?

--

Try to keep the cable short and not wrapped around anything.

Good tip, I will share that with other users as need be.
0 Likes
stickybean

ya my 6100F is now working once i replaced the cable. And it was the long phone/RJ-11 cable that came in the box. Im not sure if it was a bad cable or the cable was coiled up to save room and it was kicking off a bad field. ANd im not sure what brand it was just the one they shipped with the 6100F

But now i have a new issue, every time i get a incoming call on the phone it kicks me off the net and the internet light goes out for about 30 seconds to a minute then comes back on and i notice once it kicks back on andthe sound on my phone goes down.

I tested it and im able to make calls out and it doesn't do anything to the modem its just incoming calls.

Anyone know anything on that issue ???????

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
Does this help you:

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=High_Speed_Internet&message.id=1673

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=High_Speed_Internet&message.id=722

http://forums.verizon.com/vrzn/board/message?board.id=High_Speed_Internet&message.id=5

?
0 Likes