Old Frame Relay DSL
Gurn

I hope there is a tech support guy in this forum.

I have the old Frame Relay DSL and I can't get VZN to simply upgrade my technology to the current ATM (?) technology.

The reason: Frame Relay is limited to 1.5Mbps and ATM is not. I live literally wilking distance to the Wiring center so I should be able to get the 7Mbps if I wanted. I called VZN and there isn't anyone there that seems able to help.

HELP!!!

0 Likes
Re: Old Frame Relay DSL
Harles
Enthusiast - Level 3

I would recommend calling the Consumer Sales and Support Center at 800-VERIZON and find out what your loop length is. Even if you are next door to the CO, it's possible that the line loops around the neighborhood before it reaches your home. This could potentially mean that your house could either have a short loop length, or a very long one.

Thank you,
Harles

0 Likes
HelpDesk
Enthusiast - Level 3

HI,

You can call our technical support at 1-800-567-6789 and change the circuit to ATM from FRAME.

Thanks

Helpdesk

0 Likes
westom
Contributor - Level 1

@Gurn wrote:

I have the old Frame Relay DSL and I can't get VZN to simply upgrade my technology to the current ATM (?) technology.

The reason: Frame Relay is limited to ...

Appreciate the confusion in your post.  When DSL was first available in 1981, all phone systems used circuit switched technology.  The internet, et al is packet switched technology.  All data speeds were limited by the technology known as circuit switched.  POTS, frame relay and ISDN are examples of circuit switched technology.

Baby bells all but refused to provide packet switched service because it meant scrapping the entire network.  And so the 1996 Federal Communication Act was necessary to all but force the baby bells, et al to start scrapping circuit switched technologies.  DSL is packet switching technology.

"Frame Relay DSL" is the confusion between two completely different technologies - circuit switched and packet switched.  We could have had DSL in the 1980s had America not so feared the faster and less expensive packet switched technology.  And that is what you want to upgrade.  You want to replace circuit switched technology (frame relay) with packet switched technology (DSL, FIOS, ATM, etc).

0 Likes