Playstation 3 connectivity
kpcarroll
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have an ActionTec GT704WG router running WEP, and am trying to set up Netflix & other locations on a Playstation 3 160Gb system. The PS3 sees the network, I can only access  YouTube.  I get a "connection timed out" message when accessing other web-based  apps.  I am sure I've entered the correct wireless info into the PS3 setup, since I've gone through the process several times.  A Verizon chat tech could not solve the problem.

Any ideas?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Playstation 3 connectivity
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you by any chance turned up the Firewall level on the ActionTec? If it's set to anything higher than Low or Minimal, it might be blocking the extended services the PS3 uses.

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Have you by any chance turned up the Firewall level on the ActionTec? If it's set to anything higher than Low or Minimal, it might be blocking the extended services the PS3 uses.

kpcarroll
Enthusiast - Level 1

No, but I did try it with Wiindows Vista Firewall turned off, and everything worked.  Comes down to, I think, the fact that I have  a USB connection with the router. If I eliminate that, or change the USB router setting, I should have no more problems. 

Thanx for your suggestion!

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I'm confused... I know the ActionTec has support for USB support, but doesn't your PS3 have the ability to connect to the ActionTec Wired or Wirelessly? If it's connecting through your PC using Internet Connection Sharing which is connected using USB, I would consider moving the PC to Ethernet, and setting up the ActionTec to establish the connection automatically (if the PC is taking care of it) to make things a lot easier and to take an extra device out of the equation. Essentially, in a picture I'm speaking of:

Actiontec =  > Computer (Wirelessly or Wired)

> PS3 (Wired or Wirelessly)

> Other Devices (Wired or Wirelessly)

It sounds like you have things set up as:

Actiontec == USB == > Computer (ICS) > PlayStation 3

Either way, glad to hear I was of assistance to you! 🙂

0 Likes
kpcarroll
Enthusiast - Level 1

A Wired connection for the PS3 was not possible for me because it's on another floor, so I connected with a wireless method.  As long as the PC was running, the Windows firewall was active and blocked connection. In the end, I turned off "USB Port Detection" in the ActionTec menu.  That solved all problems. Wasn't necessary to have a USB connection, but I didn't know that when I originally installed the router.

In all previous attemps to connect, the PC was on because I thought it was necessay to be logged onto Netflix for a successful connection with activation code.  New PS3's no longer require a Netflix activation code, as they connect directly through the Web, and you log in as you would on your PC.  Last night I watched 3 Star Trek episodes, and "Angry Red Planet."  this is great, as there is seldom anything worthwhile to watch on cable.

The Verizon tech should have thought of this, but I can't fault his efforts otherwise.  As usual, the problem is most often something so simple, you overlook it.

Thanx.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ah, ok. Hope you enjoy everything in that case! I do agree there's hardly anything to watch on TV these days. In the past the only show I used to watch were the Stargate series. Pretty much, SG-1, Atlantis and Universe. Now that SG-1 has ended after 11 seasons, Atlantis got cut off short, and Universe got cut off on it's second season due to it being seen as a failure due to ratings (who gives the darn?), there's just nothing worth watching anymore. All of the awesome shows such as Robot Wars/Battle Bots that used to be on Spike (the OLD one!) had gotten canceled, newer shows are ripoffs of what is on the Internet (memes), so on and so fourth.

0 Likes