Printer Connection Question
Customer08

From my phone outlet connection, I have a splitter, one to connect my 6100F modem and one to connect my phone (with a filter).  When I tried using a triple splitter (one with three entries) with just those two connections, my internet connection worked OK.  But when I added the third connection, which is to my printer, my internet connection immediately ended.  Then when I took out the printer connection, after a couple minutes the internet connection came back on.  So, when I want to use my printer, I have to take out one of the other two connections and then add the printer connection.  Then, in order to get back online, I have to take out the printer connection and put the other one back in.

Does anyone know of a way I can use the printer connection in a way that doesn't force me to take it in and out each time?

Message Edited by Customer08 on 02-25-2009 11:28 PM
0 Likes
Re: Printer Connection Question
Arun3

Is it a all-in-one printer, and to use fax you are using additional splitter? If so, you don't need additional splitter. In your printer there should be two ports, one for Line In and another for phone. Remove the phone to filter connection from the phone end and connect it to the Line In port of your all-in-one printer. And from the phone port of your printer use another phone cable (RJ11) and connect your phone. By this you can use your phone and fax and internet simultaneously. Hope this helps.

0 Likes
Customer08

Yes, it's an all-in-one printer, and I'm not using an additional splitter to fax.  But I hardly ever fax, and when I have faxed, I've had problems and I usually have to experiment until it's right.  So, I'm really not that worried about faxing.  I'd just like to be able to be online and print without having to change wires.

I couldn't figure out everything you said.  I don't have too much experience with this.  In the back of my printer there's a port for the phone, and the other port is connected to my tower.  Should I take the phone to filter connection and connect it to the line going to my tower?  And should I then connect the phone line directly to the printer?  I don't want to redo things until I'm sure about it.

Thanks for your help.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
You could use the third outlet on the splitter for your FAX/Printer/Scanner. But anything other then the DSL modem tied to the directly to the phone line would need a filter. Including your all in one. What the other person was explaining was, you do not need to use the third connection on the splitter, if you plug the line side of your all-in-one into the filter and then plug your phone stuff into the phone port on your all in one device. Most fax type devices have a line and phone port on them If yours does not, then you would need another filter for your fax to use the third port on your splitter..
0 Likes
Customer08

I've tried using the third outlet on the splitter for the printer, but each time I put it in, my internet connection cut off.  Each time, I had to remove the printer line from that splitter for my online connection to resume.  (Believe me, I wish that worked.)

OK, just so I understand, when you say that I should plug the line side into the filter, do you mean that I should have a telephone line coming out of the Line port and then connect it to a filter?  Then what does the filter connect to?  And when you mention plugging my phone stuff into the phone port, are you talking about the Ext port?  Because I have a line coming out of there that connects to my tower?

Thank you too for your help.

0 Likes
Arun3

Ok, what I understand from this scenario is that :

1. Your printer is directly connected to your PC tower (Please let me know if it's connected using USB able)

2. you are not using fax on your printer, but still you have a phone line connected to your printer.

3. This is the only computer using the printer.

If my understanding is correct, then you don't need a phone line to your printer. Just a direct connection between the PC and the printer would do.

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

Your best bet would be to run a dedicated wire and jack from your computer to where your outside line comes into the house  And hook this up to the modem.  What is happening is ....there are too many things drawing voltage from the line thus killing the Dsl signal.

Ps...keep this new wire unfiltered to the modem and keep the filter on the phone and printer

0 Likes
Customer08

Arun,

Yes, to all of those, if by the "USB able" you're mean a cable that grey and almost see-through.  But that direct connection between the PC and printer, using that grey cable, isn't enough.  I still have to plug the Line cable into the splitter (after removing the modem line) in order for it to work.  And, like I was saying before, that cuts off my internet connection, and to get it to connect again, I have to remove that Line cable and put the modem line back in.  It's a real pain.

0 Likes
Customer08

Provider7,

I'll try that if I can.  What's a "dedicated wire and jack"?  Also, how can I find out where that outside line is, and do I need the phone company to do this connection?

0 Likes
Provider7
Contributor - Level 3

First le tme explain how you can find where your wire comes in.  If your wires are run overhead, look outside and see where they attach to the house.  Follow the wire and it should take you to the terminal.  If your wires are buried and you home is older, they usually place the terminal in a black or grey box.   If it's a newer construction and the house was prewired, it's usually near the electrical panel.  Look for a grey box if there is one installed.   It's called a network interface.  This box is where the customer can test there phone service.

If there is no network interface installed, call and request one...and while the installer is there ask him to update it with a dsl filter.  These things are great and correct probably 50% of the troubles I find in houses.  Basically it gives you 4 places to connect your inside wires.  3 of the ports are filtered so you won't need those filters any more. 

One is unfiltered and labled Data...it's here you will run your modem wire to.  The wire from the unfiltered port to your modem would be considered a "dedicated wire and jack."

0 Likes