Re: Problems since April
rboehm
Enthusiast - Level 3

That worked for getting to the modem, but not being able to see the gateway and DNS.

The WRT54GL has a screen where these are shown and they match my information from my " ipconfig /all" except the default gateway. The difference there is my Linksys IP address is the default gateway on my pc whereas the Linksys has a different gateway address.

DNS1 = 68.237.161.12

DNS2 = 71.250.0.12

Sorry for not being able to get this info off of the modem. Any help in getting that from the modem?

Also, another silly question. How does double natting affect DSL synch? I lose DSL connectivity, not just IP address.

Thanks.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@rboehm wrote:

That worked for getting to the modem, but not being able to see the gateway and DNS.

The WRT54GL has a screen where these are shown and they match my information from my " ipconfig /all" except the default gateway. The difference there is my Linksys IP address is the default gateway on my pc whereas the Linksys has a different gateway address.

DNS1 = 68.237.161.12

DNS2 = 71.250.0.12

Sorry for not being able to get this info off of the modem. Any help in getting that from the modem?

I lost you, please explain.

@rboehm wrote:

Also, another silly question. How does double natting affect DSL synch? I lose DSL connectivity, not just IP address.

Thanks.

Double NATTING does not affect DSL synch, as I am Double NATTED (2 RJ-45 WAN port routers. Linksys WRT54G and DYNEX DX-E402) and my connection is not loosing DSL connectivity.

0 Likes
rboehm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I could not find a way to get the information off of the modem as you requested. The setup to get through to the modem worked in that I could connect to the modem and run the interface. But nowhere did I see the information you requested. One feature of the WRT54GL shows the DNS and default gateways. I would assume that these are being passed through the modem to the router. The addresses I saw in the router matched what I saw in my pc using ipconfig/all as you suggested. The difference between the two was my default gateway. The default gateway on the router was a different number whereas the default gateway on my pc was the address of my router. This is what I would expect to see. But you would know better than I.

Perhaps I did not explain that I lose DSL synch often. Usually between 7 and 9 AM and between 3 and 8 PM. I have looked high and low for any device in my house that may interfere and see none. No security, no running of wires through ductwork, etc. Also, my DSL line is a straight home run to the splitter. Since I have the home run, I have tried using my POTS with and without the filters to no avail.

As of this AM, my speed is now down to 23Kb. The speed decrease usually happens after a synch loss and sunsequent resynch. That is less than dial-up. I am posting from work as it is taking 10 or more minutes to load this page. I am currently working with Verizon technicians to try and solve this issue. So far, they have swapped ports, changed CO routers (?), swapped underground and aerial lines and swapped the splitter.

I am only 12000 feet from the CO and provisioned at 1.5 Mb but the line tests show that I should be able to achieve 3.0Mb as the techs have said it shows the capability of in the 4.0 Mb range.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@rboehm wrote:

I could not find a way to get the information off of the modem as you requested. The setup to get through to the modem worked in that I could connect to the modem and run the interface. But nowhere did I see the information you requested. One feature of the WRT54GL shows the DNS and default gateways. I would assume that these are being passed through the modem to the router. The addresses I saw in the router matched what I saw in my pc using ipconfig/all as you suggested. The difference between the two was my default gateway. The default gateway on the router was a different number whereas the default gateway on my pc was the address of my router. This is what I would expect to see. But you would know better than I.

Ok.

#1 In the Linksys go to Status -> Router.

#2 If the modem is in bridge modem:

a) the IP Address that you see at http://whatismyipaddress.com/ should be in your Linksys router at this screen.

b)  In the modem, you will not see the Default gateway or DNS Servers.

@rboehm wrote:

Perhaps I did not explain that I lose DSL synch often. Usually between 7 and 9 AM and between 3 and 8 PM. I have looked high and low for any device in my house that may interfere and see none. No security, no running of wires through ductwork, etc. Also, my DSL line is a straight home run to the splitter. Since I have the home run, I have tried using my POTS with and without the filters to no avail.

Did you try connecting directly to the NID?

Points to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

How is your modem stats, when you do that?

This info, for example was your modem stats (earlier post)

Transceiver Revision: 7.1.254                  
Vendor ID Code:        4                 
Line Mode:               G.DMT-Mode                 
Data Path:               Interleaved                 
Transceiver Information     Down Stream Path     Up Stream Path       
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)     1216    448       
Margin (db)     17    12       
Line Attenuation (db)     55.5    18.5       
Transmit Power (db/Hz)     13    11   

rboehm
Enthusiast - Level 3

I mis-read your earlier request for ip address so that is why I went to looking for the DNS information. Sorry.

The ip addresses do match, so we are good there and I am not double natted.

Getting the modem to the NID will be a challenge as there is no power nearby and I am connected to a desktop pc. I will have to borrow my work laptop to do the test. It may take a day or two.

The technician is supposed to bring a new modem today. I will post those results after it gets installed. and see if issues go away. If not, then I will persue the method you suggest by plugging into the NID directly. So bear with me as I divert based on the technician's request.

rboehm
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Verizon tech measured inside as well as outside at the NID. Both values were the same. After a replacement to a Westell 7500, the problems still exist. He called someone in Boston or Providence and had them check my router (Verizon) and lines. The person he talked to stated the group I was one was listed as congested, so he did a swap to another less congested one. Yet the problem still persists.

One note was the tech mentioned a software thing that Verizon is doing that will drop the comm rate if it determines there is a problem in order to avoid "issues". The tech said that the dropping of bitrate would cause the DSL synch to go out and then reconnect. As this appears to be what is happening to me as I see a drop in bitrate each time the DSL goes out of synch. So this answers the why, but not how to fix it.

I doubt you can help me further with this problem, so I will drop the thread as it stands. It is not resolved, so I cannot check it off as solved.

Not sure where I'll go from here. Looks like another ISP if not resolved in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for your patience and assistance. Kudos coming.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

@rboehm wrote:

The Verizon tech measured inside as well as outside at the NID. Both values were the same. After a replacement to a Westell 7500, the problems still exist. He called someone in Boston or Providence and had them check my router (Verizon) and lines. The person he talked to stated the group I was one was listed as congested, so he did a swap to another less congested one. Yet the problem still persists.

One note was the tech mentioned a software thing that Verizon is doing that will drop the comm rate if it determines there is a problem in order to avoid "issues". The tech said that the dropping of bitrate would cause the DSL synch to go out and then reconnect. As this appears to be what is happening to me as I see a drop in bitrate each time the DSL goes out of synch. So this answers the why, but not how to fix it.

I doubt you can help me further with this problem, so I will drop the thread as it stands. It is not resolved, so I cannot check it off as solved.

Not sure where I'll go from here. Looks like another ISP if not resolved in the next couple of weeks.

The problem is definetely not at the ISP side,  the problem is definetely the line.   

Margin (db)     17    12       

the readings themselves look deceptively ok, because the attenuation and the margin (db) look ok, but the down rate for a 1.5 plan should be 1792. not 1200. 

DSL fluctuates, so when life is good for you, you see a like speed that immediately indicates that there is trouble somewhere in the line.   when things get really bad, go back to that same page and look at those stats again and you'll see that 1216 get REAL bad, is what I would bet.

when the tech's get out there, they need to do a process of elimination.   They either need to replace the cables outside on the pole, or the cables in the street to the main office, and maybe the card that you are plugged into at the main office.  

The only way that it could be you're house, is if you disconnect every single phone/alarm system/fax/etc   and plug in only the modem to a jack at the house, and then the readings go UP, then it's a problem with one of your phones or filters.    

if the readings look the same or identical then the problem is likely outside of your house, and more in line with the things I talked about before. 

I wouldn't suggest messing with any of the settings, this is definetely a physical issue in some respect.  

Hubrisnxs
Legend

be forewarned, this will be a few visits until the replace the bad item, whether that is a card in the central office, remove bridge tap, or replace a cable on the pole.   unless you can raise enough stink and get them to replace it all at one time.    

rboehm
Enthusiast - Level 3

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

@rboehm wrote:

The problem is definetely not at the ISP side,  the problem is definetely the line.   

Margin (db)     17    12       

the readings themselves look deceptively ok, because the attenuation and the margin (db) look ok, but the down rate for a 1.5 plan should be 1792. not 1200. 

DSL fluctuates, so when life is good for you, you see a like speed that immediately indicates that there is trouble somewhere in the line.   when things get really bad, go back to that same page and look at those stats again and you'll see that 1216 get REAL bad, is what I would bet.

when the tech's get out there, they need to do a process of elimination.   They either need to replace the cables outside on the pole, or the cables in the street to the main office, and maybe the card that you are plugged into at the main office.  

The only way that it could be you're house, is if you disconnect every single phone/alarm system/fax/etc   and plug in only the modem to a jack at the house, and then the readings go UP, then it's a problem with one of your phones or filters.    

if the readings look the same or identical then the problem is likely outside of your house, and more in line with the things I talked about before. 

I wouldn't suggest messing with any of the settings, this is definetely a physical issue in some respect.  

Yes, I fully understand. He had asked for my readings at that time. It so happened to coincide with what the tech saw inside and outside. I have seen modem stats as low as 440 is kbs. I do know it has been lower but did not record the stats.

As I mentioned in this thread, they did replace everything - Port swap, underground line, aerial line, splitter and router assignment along with modem. Problems still exist and are daily, though not as bad. I think the CO router swap helped the most. I still can only achieve 1501 kbs at max which I know is still lower than the 1792 I used to see. I still have DSL synch issues, but I now believe that is the magic software they use to "optimize" my connection to eliminate communications errors. The loss of synch is brief and when it reconnects, the speed is dropped and will continue to drop until it thinks I am at a stable communications rate.

As I understand it, they pretty much have done everything and yet the problem still exists. I have had at least 10 tech visits and my records show my long lasting issues. Even the call center in India recognizes that now.

As it stands right now here are my best stats which also appears to be the most stable with the Westell 7500.

Transceiver InformationDown Stream PathUp Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec)1501445
Margin (dB)8.820.2
Line Attenuation (dB)59.532.2
Transmit Power (dBm)17.612.4

Like I said, I doubt there is any more help here and it is in Verizon's hands.