Problems with slow speeds and inability to connect
beachbob
Enthusiast - Level 1

i got hooked up with DSL one month ago after waiting for 2 years because I was out of range of central office. The only other option in Santa Barbara is Cox Cable (Comcast) which is a total rip off monopoly. (way overpriced and not efficient). For some reason, I finally was contacted & told I could connect. I am at end of loop at 18,600 ft. I have had problems with very slow speeds, but most frustrating is not being able to connect 2 or 3 times a week. I havto re-boot modem & computer & finally I can get on. Last night it took an hour. i called suupport & they ran a test & said problem with connection to my house.

A tech guy came out  3 weeks ago & did not really do anything except test speed & tell me I am too far away to get max resuts. I have the 1 MBPS plan. Have been getting  average&max of 200-300 download & 350 upload.

But the tech guy that came out today (I was not home so he did all work on the pole) spent 3 hours replacing all wiring and connections with upgrades. He said the quality of the wiring connections were terrible & the fact I am so far away that maybe I should reduce my plan speed. (I didnot know there was a 768/448 plan). But when I got home my speed was way up. So as long as I do not have the connection problem, I am very happy with what I have.The tech guy (Doug) was great- he explaind on phone to me all possibilities. But it appears he really went way beyond what was required to help me out. Also , the people you speak to when you call suppot really have no clue, but the one I spoke to last night at least told me there was a problem with the out side connection. But they never communicate things to the tech that comes out. I always tell then my cell # & that no one can let then in the house. But it never gets communicated tho the guy who comes out. My neighbor just hapened to see him today & gave him my number.

This is my speed as of tonight: Down: 629 KBS  Up: 376 KBS  This is 3X faster on the Down than I have ever had at any time.

So -hopefully this may help with some of these problems. I would rely on the techs that know what they are doing & have them chek the wiring.