RCN Blocking mail from Verizon East DSL nodes
Dkirk

SORBS /RCN blocking mail from Verizon-East DSL nodes

129.44.172.0/22 (129.44.172.0-129.44.175.255)

I have disconnected and pulled several different IP addresses from the VOL Boston-East pool in both the 129 and 151 series and all of them are showing on the SORBS black listings.

The result of this is that RCN is blocking my mail.   No other service (that I send to) is however.  As a result I am forced to use Gmail or some other service to reach people i know on RCN.

RCN should only be looking at the mail server IP as far as I know at my web and mail host company (I don't run my own and do not use Verizon's mail servers).

I can send mail to everyone else but apparently RCN is using the DSL node black listing at SORBS.

Oddly, Gmail (popped) and some other domains I have access to are not effected. Only when I send through my personal web and mail host. Yet SORBS is registering the DSL node as the offending point.

Any VOL Customer service people out there that can rectify this?

Odd.

DMK

0 Likes
Re: RCN Blocking mail from Verizon East DSL nodes
Dkirk

Additional Information:

Here is the error message from SORBS and it's explanation.  It appears that VOL has issued a block on this IP pool - their own! 

This may FORCE Verizon customers to use Verizon's SMTP even when they purchase their mail services elsewhere. While I have no problems sending mail to most people, RCN is honoring this block as posted by Verizon.  Yet I move my mail through my web and mail host (in Texas) through an authenticated system. 

This is wrong.  First, VOL should not be self-blocking its own DSL pool and RCN should not be looking at this point of access.  They should only be looking at the IP of the SMTP server in use.

-------------------------------

Ref: PBL273941

129.44.172.0/22 is listed on the Policy Block List (PBL)

Outbound Email Policy of Verizon Online for this IP range:

It is the policy of Verizon Online that unauthenticated email sent from this IP address should be sent out only via the designated outbound mail server allocated to Verizon Online customers. To find the hostname of the correct mail server to use, customers should consult the original signup documentation or contact Verizon Online Technical Support.

Removal Procedure

Removal of IP addresses within this range from the PBL is not allowed by the netblock owner's policy.

-------------------------------

Do any of the forum moderators have the ear of a networking tech at VOL?  This is not right.

I buy my e-mail elsewhere and pay to use their systems.  VOL has no right to issue a block against this.

Cripes.

DMK

0 Likes