ridiculously slow DSL
josette1313
Enthusiast - Level 1

constantly very slow DSL, esp with my wireless items...so wasted almost $100 buying cat5e cables to reach these items and still horrible connection.  Speedtest just run shows 1.69mbps download and .58 upload speeds while using the cat5e cable, yet I am paying for 3-7mbps.  I NEVER get better than maybe 2.5 to 2.8, have constant buffering issues when trying to stream even little video clips.

what is the problem and when will something be done about this poor service?

guess I might as well return all these cables since they have not helped at all...

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: ridiculously slow DSL
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are your speeds bad at all times of the day or only during the evening hours?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

As well as

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
josette1313
Enthusiast - Level 1

seems to be any time of day or night, but yes worst in evening when more users online

just ran a speedtest at 3am, though, and results were still unfavorable and too much below the range I am paying for

0 Likes
kew2
Enthusiast - Level 2
yea, take the cable back. That's not your problem. I've been having exceptionally slow speeds in past couple of days with intermittent connection drops and from what i'm seeing on the posts I'm not the only one. I've been with Verizon since they first offered broadband and only once was it trouble with the copper to the house (neighbor cut the line). Excluding a fault with the copper inside your home (low probability unless you've futzing around wit it) or the copper from your home to the pole, or the copper from the pole to the central office (higher probability if they have been futzing around with it or of course an act of God) the problem is at their end. I've been through the merry go round with their tech folk 99% of which are reading off a script, no real help there. The only way to get resolution is to be patient and hope it resolves itself, not the best option considering you're paying for a level of service. The alternative is to be persistent and keep opening tickets. Always insist on speak to a supervisor, threaten to go elsewhere (if that's an option). The operative word is persistence. Here's usually how it goes-- you are rolling along with satisfactory service (that's relative, not going there) and now your service has turned to crap. You call V and they do a line check and say that it's fine. What does that tell you, it's at their end but won't fess up to it. You did something to your configuration, it's your fault. They'll walk you through a script checking this and checking that. Must be your router, (a favorite) so they'll offer to sell you a new one. If you're lucky they'll give you a free one to appease you for the moment. And each time you call them it's the same merry go round. That's why you need to speak to someone higher up the chain preferably a tech supervisor. Those below are clueless. My OS is Linux and I run a wrt router so I'm familiar with the equipment on my end (BTW - they can't help you unless you're on Windows, i'm not a Mac user so I don't know what the deal is there). When nothing can be done for you remotely they schedule to have a lineman come out. A real nightmare for those of us who have real 9-5 jobs. Again, the trick is persistence, that's all you have if it's just you. When the fault affects a geographic area (say section of NYC) they are more inclined to remedy the problem. Hang in there, good luck.
ready2cancel
Enthusiast - Level 2

I wrote a note yesterday regarding my slow enhanced DSL service. There is no hope with Verizon. I pay for 1.1 to 3.0 since that is the fastest they offer. After support was able to get my speed to 2.8 for one day,  It has fallen back to 1.28. I will not waste any more time calling Verizon or getting frustrated.

I called Xfinity this morning and got their Performance package for 39.99 per month (12 months) plus $30 installation. I also bought my own mode/router to eliminate the $10 per month fee.

It makes me mad that Verizon forced me to do this. I have had their DSL since day one. They don't offer me FIOS, they can't give me anything faster than 1.0 to 3.0 which ends up at 1.2, and they won't talk with you. The support is as bad as their down load speeds.

Goodbye.

pmruzicka1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same thing goping on here is PA. Seems when I call and complain, things improve temporarily. Last time I called and they said a setting was wrong. They changed it and the connection got slower, and the dropouts continued. No FIOS here either. Seriously thinking about dropping the Verizon  and going with Comcast cable. Just sick of it and have been a customer since DSL started on Verizon. Problems only really gotten worse in last year or so.

0 Likes
paultesta

how do i get faster internet? i am at .75mbs. Seriously screwed. I am NOT going to comcast. EVER. looks like im either stuck in 1990 speeds or NOTHING AT ALL.  

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@paultesta wrote:

how do i get faster internet? i am at .75mbs. Seriously screwed. I am NOT going to comcast. EVER. looks like im either stuck in 1990 speeds or NOTHING AT ALL.  

Does Verizon offer more than the 1Mbps package in your area? If not, you're *probably* going to have to buy a cable modem and go Comcast. That's probably going to be happening in the not-so-distant future given how DSL is being treated in most areas.

0 Likes
malond

All the time

0 Likes