Second Router with wireless.
ma121

I am visiting a Verizon customer with DSL and doesn't have wifi.

I had an old Linksys router that I used to hook up in these situations, configured it to have 10.0.0.x addresses and connect it with an enthernet cord and that would allow my non-ethernet computer to get to the Internet.  I can't find the power cord.

I have an old Verizon model Model Name: MI424-WR router, which I can't figure out how to get to work.  I changed the IP addresses, I made it DHCP relay, etc.   It doesn't feel like it is receiveing an IP address when I plug the ETHERNET WAN to the DSL modem.

I searched the Internet which has had some advice, but nothing has worked, does anyone have a source of instructions they know work?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Second Router with wireless.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What DSL modem do you have? If the modem doesn't have a built-in router or is in bridge mode, your WAN connection type will likely be PPPoE instead of DHCP.

I don't remember if the ActionTec MI424WR has the option of using PPPoE for WAN. If that's the case, and you have a modem like the Westell 6100,  the modem can be put into PPPoE mode and then configured to pass the public IP through to your router (Routed Bridge).

View solution in original post

Re: Second Router with wireless.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What DSL modem do you have? If the modem doesn't have a built-in router or is in bridge mode, your WAN connection type will likely be PPPoE instead of DHCP.

I don't remember if the ActionTec MI424WR has the option of using PPPoE for WAN. If that's the case, and you have a modem like the Westell 6100,  the modem can be put into PPPoE mode and then configured to pass the public IP through to your router (Routed Bridge).