slow connection speed
mquig32

I have been reading people's posts about how their download speed is slow.  So, hopefully someone can help me.  I thought that it was my computer just being bogged down at first, but then I had a problem with my hard drive and had to have it reformatted and everything reinstalled.  So, basically, my computer is almost like new.  When I am on the internet I was noticing that even though all that stuff was done to my computer, the speed still wasn't there.  So, I did a speed test on verizon and another site and here's what I got.  One had a download speed of 176kbps and the other 216kbps.  I am supposed to get around 1.5 mps.  Now my upload speed was good.  It was 480kbps on one and 384 kbps on the other.  Can anyone help me.

0 Likes
Re: slow connection speed
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
To start with..

#1 What is the brand and model of your router?

#2 What is the brand and model of your modem?

#3 What is your OS?

#4 What software firewall do you have on your computer?
0 Likes
mquig19
My modem is conexant d850 56k v.9x dfvc.  Router is a westell versalink 327w.  OS is windows xp with Norton Inernet Security.
0 Likes
ArrowSmith
I just recycled my Westell modem power 30 minutes ago and that restored my 1.5mbps download speed. Now it's back to 1/3 that. I can't believe this is my hardware issue. Verizon is having issues!
0 Likes
bnichols
Yes, the exact same thing has happened to my DSL. I've had a steady 1.5mbps (let's not get into how I'm supposed to be getting 3mbps), up until a few days ago when it dropped to exactly 1/3 of that. I can still upload at the same rate as before. Cycling power to the modem doesn't change anything.
0 Likes
louise1954

I find it so ironic that we all have a speed of 1.5 but I had recently had to pay to have my speed upgraded from 1.5 to 5, but I only get still less than 2 Mbps but it cost me $20 more for the 5 Mbps they know what speed we are getting but for me I have to pay for the 5 Mbps , I'm considering dumping my net service with Verizon and high as they may be , I might have to go to compact,, at least I know what I am getting, the speed that I'm paying for......... 

0 Likes
louise1954

Sorry, where it says compact, I meant comcast

0 Likes