slow DSL speed
Clyde

Hi,

I've had a problem with slow DSL for over a year. Now it's become even worse. My computer is connected to the internet directly through a modem (I had to disconnect my router a long time ago, because of the speed), which is Westell 2110, B90-210015-04 (rev.F software). I ran a diagnostic for the modem, and this is what I got (sorry I coudn't insert a picture directly):

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x110/Brimruk_91/?action=view&current=1212.jpg

FEC Errors numbers are growing with time. My understanding is that the Noise Margin number also doesn't look so good. And I am not even talking about the Data Rate.

Considering these test results, as well as the fact, that on a rainy day my Internet speed is close to zero, I am blaming all of this on Verizon. Of course, I've called their Customer Service and got the typical advice about checking my computer for viruses and trojans (my computer runs McAfee soft and is updated regularly), and resetting the modem (didn't help at all).

Now, a Verizon tech is coming to my house Tuesday morning. Any suggestions on how can I prove to him that the slow Internet speed is not a problem on MY end of the line, but theirs?

Thank you!

0 Likes
Re: slow DSL speed
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Read the tips at

http://www22.verizon.com/ResidentialHelp/HighSpeed

/Troubleshooting/Connection+Issues/QuestionsOne/88005.htm

One of more of those things, could be why your issue is happening in the first place.
0 Likes
FieldT
Enthusiast - Level 3

No way to prove to him it is not your problem because it can be your problem. 80%-90% of my problems are inside the customers house,  He can take a reading at your modem and then one at the side of your house to see what the numbers look like, if they are great at the side of the house and not good at the modem then problem is in the house, if they are bad at side of house then problem is an outside problem. Noise margin should be 9 or higher, 6 is bad, you will have problems.

0 Likes
Clyde

Guys,

Thank you very much for your help and suggestions.

I have found out that my modem was a problem. Once I connected another modem, my Internet sped up to 1.5 Mbps.

Can you tell me where I can buy a new modem (or maybe even wired modem/router), which is suitable for Verizon standarts?

Thank you!

0 Likes
FieldT
Enthusiast - Level 3

Does not sound like a modem problem at all, I would use whatever modem you tested with for a while before I bought a new one, if it is someone who is using that modem see if you can swap modems for a few days, see if he has a problem with yours. If you do need to buy a modem you can A) call Verizon online and see what they will give you B) goto eBay and get one cheep, C) Goto a store and buy one, I think Best Buy, Circuit City if there is any left, Office Depot, WallMart and others may sell them.

0 Likes