Re: Seems like a ongoing problem. Slow DSL
Rptdoc

Sorry I got delayed. 

Wireless is not a problem it is encrypted and is used very little.

Far as ping, It is different from file transfer rate.

As far as Verizon goes they are not going to change anything. They sold the land line side of the company to someone else.

I was already told by a verizon employee that the service will be going down hill with the history of the new company.

So if you think of anything else let me know. 

Thanks for you time.

0 Likes
Re: Slow DSL Speeds?? Please post here. . .
LindaChou

My roommate and I experienced slow DSL speeds while opening certain websites, such as hotmail.com and sfgate.com, since March 11th. Before calling Verizon customer service, we turned off router, turned back on and restarted computers. However, it doesn't help. When we called customer service, and they asked us to go to "192.168.1.1/Verizon/redirect" and clicked button show"on" and "off"on that page. It seems help because some websites that we had problems to open before can work well. But some websites woked well before we called became slow (takes more than 10min to open, really depeneds on luck)or even can't open anymore.

They also connected my computer and tried to fix the problem from their side for one hour, but nothing helped. Eventually, they asked me to call my computer manufacture and implied Verizon has no responsibility of this slow connection problem.

It really makes me angry. How could it be possible that three computers with two types system (windows 7 and XP) from three different manufactures in the same house have the same issue, just because of our computers' problem?

They finally promised to give a test and will tell us the result within 24hr. I do hope they would call me by 10 o'clock pm March 14.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@LindaChou wrote:

My roommate and I experienced slow DSL speeds while opening certain websites, such as hotmail.com and sfgate.com, since March 11th. Before calling Verizon customer service, we turned off router, turned back on and restarted computers. However, it doesn't help. When we called customer service, and they asked us to go to "192.168.1.1/Verizon/redirect" and clicked button show"on" and "off"on that page. It seems help because some websites that we had problems to open before can work well. But some websites woked well before we called became slow (takes more than 10min to open, really depeneds on luck)or even can't open anymore.

They also connected my computer and tried to fix the problem from their side for one hour, but nothing helped. Eventually, they asked me to call my computer manufacture and implied Verizon has no responsibility of this slow connection problem.

It really makes me angry. How could it be possible that three computers with two types system (windows 7 and XP) from three different manufactures in the same house have the same issue, just because of our computers' problem?

They finally promised to give a test and will tell us the result within 24hr. I do hope they would call me by 10 o'clock pm March 14.

#1 Only on certain sites? Hmm..

#2 In that case, I find it hard to believe that it is your computer that is the issue.

#3 Please try to trace route to the sites.

For example if on Windows XP..

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) In the new window, called the command prompt, type in tracert hotmail.com and press enter.

#4 Please show us, the fastest possible route(s) between your computer and the target(s).

#5 While I do not think, it is your end...

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) What is the brand and model of your router?

#6 Does this slowness happen all of the time OR at certain times?

0 Likes
Your service is starting to falter.
SealCoatMan

We've used Verizon's internet service for about 3 years now, and up until the past few months, it's been flawless. Now, it seems like we get one good day of service for every 5 days of terrible service. We are on the Starter Plan for High Speed, and we also own an Xbox 360 video-game system. Almost every time we try to use the Xbox, our internet service is running too slowly to play online. We live in the Hillsboro, Ohio area near Mowrystown, Ohio, and our neighbors have the same problem we do.

On a day of good service, our computer's access runs quickly and smoothly, and our video-game systems can run perfectly while playing online.

Last month, everyone's internet service on our line went down for one day, we're not sure if you were fixing a relay box or what exactly you were doing, but the next day when the service came back on, and for about 3 days following, the connection was superb. We had no problems whatsoever. Now, the service is starting to go bad again. Two days ago, the connection was great, then yesterday, it was bad again.

I've tried everything to fix it, we've double-checked our filters, reset our modem and router countless times, and nothing seems to be working. My son suggests that we call and get our IP address changed, and I'm at wit's end and am willing to do this if it will fix our connection. I'm not sure if this is even possible or if it will help the problem, but our internet service is rather bad, and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Is there anything we can do on our end, or anything you can do on your end to get this problem solved? Thank you.

0 Likes
PatH

It takes me about an hour and a half to download a medium-length audio book from the library, and I can't do anything else while it's going on -- ridiculous!  I had my son call to try to see what could be done (I can't talk to Verizon people anymore.  I've been "Verizoned" - transferred, cut off, misdirected, cut off, transferred some more, until I've filed a complaint with the FCC), but even being as polite and patient as he could, he got no help, no answers.

I have no idea what to do or how to get help. Verizon's 'customer support' system and voice menu system is worse than useless.

0 Likes
jenstar131
Enthusiast - Level 2

got it here tonight in Phila

seems like bad storms affect the Phila area all the time

but not during, but after when the area is drying up

I tried to ask if there was a better modem to buy from either verizon or elswhere and got told to open a case

I just wanted to know if there was a better upgrade than this old westell proline modem

but I don't want to waste a day on the phone with people who read from scripts

0 Likes
Trevors

Okay, here's my deal - I have a 7M DSL line and service has been okay for a while but has become much worse in the last month or so. Youtube and Netflix streaming are unwatchable. I can't even watch 360p videos without it stopping every 10 seconds to buffer. Checking my bit rate with task manager, I get about 25-75kbytes/s when watching youtube vids (on Windows 7 over wireless AND WinXP via ethernet )

Watching Netflix on my PS3 is impossible. If I'm lucky, a video I select will actually load after buffering for 2 minutes, but the bitrate drops so low, the video compression artifacts at the low bitrate make it unwatchable. HD netflix streaming just doesn't work. It even takes 2-3 minutes to load the coverart graphics on the title selection menus. My PS3 is wirelessly connected to the router. 

Downloading other things is not as horrific, but I cannot seem to get above ~250kbyte/sec (2Mbit) PER download. Speakeasy and the FCC's bandwidth testers both reported my download speed at 2Mbit/s independently. I did however try to simultaneously download the biggest files  I could find from multiple servers. I downloaded a file from Fileplanet and Gamespot (~100kbyte/s each), another game on Steam (~210kbyte/sec), a Youtube video, THEN I did the Speakeasy bandwidth test, which scored 1.7Mbit/s. In total, task manager reported my download speed at 750-830kbyte/s, which is close to my 7Mbit line speed.

So, I don't know what that means. I used to watch streaming HD on Netflix with no complaints on the quality but it has been really, really terrible lately.

I'm using the Westell 7500 model (or A90-750015-07, black body). Firmware: 5.01.00.02. 

0 Likes
caps620
Enthusiast - Level 1

One process to try for slow speeds (and excuse me if this is repeating information as I have not read every post here) is to eliminate the inside wiring by connecting the modem to the NID test port. Use a known good RJ11 cable thats is short as possible. In some cases you will have to disconnect a modular plug to access the test jack.

Connect either an ethernet or USB cable to the modem so you can use a computer to check the line stats. Better yet if you have a combo unit with modem, ethernet ports and wireless then use the wireless connection for stats.

If stats or connection speed improves then the problem is with the inside wiring,

Just my 2 cents worth, could save some bucks if a dispached tech finds the same issue.

jflatnote

We are supposed to have 7.5 Mbps service, had some trouble earlier in the year, but have had almost regular fast connections (6 Mbps+ as measured on speedtest.net) for the last week or so.  However, the last two or three days the connection has pretty much dried up. speedtest.net has been reporting < 800kbps down, which is funny because up is consistently > 600 kbps.  Last night I spent almost two hours on the phone with tech support which resulted in a 24hr test.  I just got the result which claims the problem is resolved.  But now I'm testing at ~250kbps down and ~500kbps up - totally upside down.  Not a wireless issue: get the same results over wireless AND plugged directly into the back of the modem.  Have tried both with OSX and Windows 7.  Have run virus and spyware scans.  I even reset the modem.  The line in to the modem is supposedly clear, and my connection from the computer to the modem is clear.  The modem  has been running constantly for over 3 years - could it be starting to fail?

0 Likes
Re: Worst Internet Ever.
themagnificent

U are right!! Same happened to me,I can"t connect 2 PC's at the same time. Or Use my desk top or my lap top but never both of them.

I have  the Turbo speed.

0 Likes