Slow speed DSL keeps getting slower
natesmith

Can't seem to get help with my DSL speed getting slower.  I'm paying for a 1Mbit connection and that is what I expect.  A few weeks ago it had been woring fine rignt around 1.1Mb.  Now, downloads speeds are usually around 740K and up is around 10Kb.  My voice line is constantly going bad but they just fixed it again a few days ago.  It should be good until it rains again.

Is verizon purposely provisioning the DSL slower?  The service around here is aweful but they shouldn't be charging for service the can't provide.

Any ideas on what to do?  I don't have any other options for internet other than satelite and thats just do expensive.

0 Likes
Re: Slow speed DSL keeps getting slower
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You will need to get the voice line repaired to get the DSL portion fixed. Once voice is repaired, DSL will follow.

The next time you talk to Verizon, please ask them to disable the ASSIA xDSL Optimizer, which is enabled for your line. That way, line troubles do not cause the system to decrease your speed.

0 Likes
natesmith

The voice line was 'fixed' according to Verizon.  I've rebooted the modem several times since then and still only have 700 to 800kbs via provisioning.  The copper is very old and in very poor condition in this area.  They really can't fix it, they just find a dryer pair and keep moving.

So the standard support can get the optimizer disabled?  They barely can talk english and don't seem very knowledgable about the technical aspects of DSL. 

At work I have 3 DSL lines and I've strugged to get the lines that are only 2000 feet from the DSLAM any faster than 3Mbit.  The engineers seemed to think it just can't be done.  I don't hold out hope these guys can help at this point.  But I'm willing to try again.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try talking to the Verizon Direct forum for the speed issue, and also for the circuits at your office, if you'd like those looked at: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect . The techs in there should be able to get all of that resolved.

You will need to register an account with the DSLReports site to do so.

gh45
Enthusiast - Level 2

Im having a similer issue with the central office being either outdated or having major issues causing very poor speed/connection and sometimes dropouts.  They said they fixed it last week but I talked to support again and they said nothing was fixed and created another ticket for tomorrow.  That site you gave is that direct to the engineers who work on the central office?  Is there something they can actually do about a central office "running out of capacity" as they put it?  Im gonna ask for some money back, maybe report them to the FCC and have been looking into comcast quite frankly.  Verizon doesnt seem to fix anything/care.

natesmith

One of the engineers I talked to about the DSL lines at work (he was based in State College from what he told me) said that they are seeing more error reports that indicate they are out of capacity in the systems he oversees.  It makes me think they only have one fiber pair lit to many of the DSLAM sites and have limited capacity to expand at the central CO.  I get the feeling that PA is one of the next systems that Verizon is going to sell off.  They clearly want out of the copper business and want to focus on FIOS and Wireless.  Anybody that says different isn't paying attension.

Good luck with the FCC route.  I've been less than impressed by the informal compaint process.  Formal compaints are too costly and require too much effort.  I'd gladly move to Comcast if they could offer service.

0 Likes
natesmith

Ok, once a member, how do you post a ticket request?

0 Likes
natesmith

Got it.  Found the post+ button.  As slow as the connection is this is very aggravating.

0 Likes
gh45
Enthusiast - Level 2

its a good thing im a soon to be attorney then.  I have nothing but time to fight the wrongdoers if it comes to that.  Also, the ticket that was created for them to work on the CO today went unanswered, what a surprise.  Either tell me you cant fix it and give me alternatives or fix the problem im so sick of this.

0 Likes
natesmith

Just got off the phone with a support person after getting escalation from the DSL reports forum.  They are sending me a new modem as they said the current modem cannot work at the higher speeds and that the line has been provisioned down.  I got the feeling the only reason they are sending a new one is that the current one is very old.  She commented that the speed I'm at is within limits of what I'm paying for.   This only means the copper is getting that much worse.  Termites must be eating the paper insulation.  We are starting to see more nitrogen tanks chained to poles trying to keep the swiss cheese lines dry.  Eventually something has to be done.

On a side note, she said that the modem should be replaced every two to three years.  As an EE and having worked in communications, that only means the infrastructure is failing, not the modems.  The amplifiers and processing algorithms improve slightly with each new platform but they shouldn't be relying on that curve to continue infinitely.  Seems that everytime I talk with someone at verizon they demonstrate they are part of the problem.  Maybe this time will be different but I'm not holding my breath.

0 Likes