slow streaming with good dsl speed
chrisss

Hi- Why has Steaming of Netflix, hulu etc gotten so slow even with download speeds of nearly  2.7 to 3 mbps.

That use to be enough for streaming but in the last few month everything is constantly stopping. Hulu is useless and Netflix through the roku box use to work well but now it stops to buffer every 10 minutes or so. What is going on?

Thanks- chris

0 Likes
Re: slow streaming with good dsl speed
gonxie
Enthusiast - Level 2

I called about the same problem today, and got absolutely no where. 

It was one of the most frustrating calls I've ever been on.

My on demand isn't working right either. 

Verizon was zero help.  They were actually rude and talked down to me. 

The customer service was awful. 

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hulu is news to me as to being slow, but Netflix has been having some known issues with Verizon and other ISPs in relationship to night time usage. Honestly, there's been a lot of debate but the problem could be anywhere. Verizon for example, doesn't have problems in all of their footprint with Netflix.

At 3Mbps, you're stretching it thin for "720p" streaming. To start, you are ruling out every chance that another device or person could be using up your bandwidth causing the pauses to the stream, right?

0 Likes
wiggie116
Contributor - Level 1
I'm having a similar issue with Netflix started to watch a series on Netflix. When I started around 3pm I was streaming in 1080i for two episodes. Now I'm down to 480SD, and sometimes going to 384SD. My speed test while streaming are above 6megs. Which is enough for 720p. My friend who has EarthLink through TWC is having issues with buffering on a 15 meg line (only on Netflix). I'm not seeing any buffering, but definitely a reduced video quality during the evening hours.
0 Likes
alinux
Enthusiast - Level 3

Use VPN as per http://thevpn.guru/netflix-streaming-problems-verizon/ this will bounce you back behind the Verizon contrl dogs and your streaming wont be affected.

0 Likes