Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
end of navigation menu

slow streaming with good dsl speed

chrisss
Contributor
Contributor

slow streaming with good dsl speed

Message 1 of 5
(2,754 Views)

Hi- Why has Steaming of Netflix, hulu etc gotten so slow even with download speeds of nearly  2.7 to 3 mbps.

That use to be enough for streaming but in the last few month everything is constantly stopping. Hulu is useless and Netflix through the roku box use to work well but now it stops to buffer every 10 minutes or so. What is going on?

Thanks- chris

4 REPLIES 4
gonxie
Copper Contributor
Copper Contributor

Re: slow streaming with good dsl speed

Message 2 of 5
(2,745 Views)

I called about the same problem today, and got absolutely no where. 

It was one of the most frustrating calls I've ever been on.

My on demand isn't working right either. 

Verizon was zero help.  They were actually rude and talked down to me. 

The customer service was awful. 

Smith6612
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Message 3 of 5
(2,732 Views)

Hulu is news to me as to being slow, but Netflix has been having some known issues with Verizon and other ISPs in relationship to night time usage. Honestly, there's been a lot of debate but the problem could be anywhere. Verizon for example, doesn't have problems in all of their footprint with Netflix.

At 3Mbps, you're stretching it thin for "720p" streaming. To start, you are ruling out every chance that another device or person could be using up your bandwidth causing the pauses to the stream, right?

wiggie116
Bronze Contributor II
Bronze Contributor II

Message 4 of 5
(2,646 Views)
I'm having a similar issue with Netflix started to watch a series on Netflix. When I started around 3pm I was streaming in 1080i for two episodes. Now I'm down to 480SD, and sometimes going to 384SD. My speed test while streaming are above 6megs. Which is enough for 720p. My friend who has EarthLink through TWC is having issues with buffering on a 15 meg line (only on Netflix). I'm not seeing any buffering, but definitely a reduced video quality during the evening hours.
alinux
Contributor
Contributor

Message 5 of 5
(2,529 Views)

Use VPN as per http://thevpn.guru/netflix-streaming-problems-verizon/ this will bounce you back behind the Verizon contrl dogs and your streaming wont be affected.

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title