Slowdown during upgrade
frique
Enthusiast - Level 2

Last Friday I purchased a 3Mb/s package from Verizon. This is a substantial upgrade from the 764 Kb/s connection I have had for the last 2 years or so. Ever since then I have had a horrible connection. My upgrade is still not complete (due Dec. 24th.) I now average 300Kb/s connection, but I have periods where it feels like I am back on a 56k dial-up connection. (read 10 minutes to load a 1 minute Youtube video)  I have contacted Verizon Tech support about this problem. We went to Speedtest.net and performed the test there. I was able to get 410 Kb/s connection speed while talking with "Jeff." Curiously, my upload speed has not been affected. Jeff told me that it is normal to have periods of slower download speed while my line is being upgraded. I am still looking for the periods of normal download speed. I have a Westell 6100 modem which has given me excellent service for the last two years.

What I want to know is, is this true? Is it normal to have garbage service while waiting for the upgrade to be finished?

0 Likes
Re: Slowdown during upgrade
Zixxer

Sounds like what I'm experiencing from the start...almost two years now.  The upgrade, from my understanding, is done as quickly as the service is entered into the system.  If it's been more that a few days, someone is pulling your chain.

0 Likes
frique
Enthusiast - Level 2

At 3:04 AM EST my internet disappeared. I waited for approximately 10 minutes hoping that it would come back, but no such luck. I then shut the modem off & restarted it. Once I had it running again I had full (new) speed internet! I did a speed test and I hit 2.88 Mb/s down and .48Mb/s up. I waited until evening to post this in case anything else happened today. I did have one point in the day where my internet dropped in half again (1.4 Mb/s down) but it was just a minute or two long and then I was back to full speed. I am hoping that my troubles are finished.

Zixxer, I recommend that you complain about the crappy service. If it keeps dropping on you like mine was, let them know. In fact, let them know every time (politely)! Document it! keep a journal next to the computer. Eventually they will get tired of you calling & either fix it or try to drop you. If they drop you, you will have documentation of the poor service. This can be taken to the public utilities commision where they can deal with Verizon and either correct the poor service or refund (a portion of) your money. I do not like to take a drastic step like this, but prefer to work it out with the service first. If it cannot be worked out, that is what the PUC is for. At least, that is what I have been told.

Zixxer

Glad it's working out for you.  Just seems like so much effort...imagine all those subscribers that have no clue???

0 Likes