Slowing DSL speeds
jeffsher_
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the 1.5-3.0 mbps plan, and initially, was getting around 1.6 mbps (I live around 15,000 line feet from the CO).  Now, I'm lucky if I get 1 mbps.  Why is this happening?  I do regular virus and malware scans, so I don't think that's an issue.

Modem: Westell Wirespeed (this modem is almost 9 years old)

Router:  Netgear WPN824 v3

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Slowing DSL speeds
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Is Wireless enabled in the WPN824?

#2 If so, what level of wireless security is it set to? For example, WEP.

#3 What is the exact model of that Westell modem? For example, the Westell B90-610010-06. 

0 Likes
jeffsher_
Enthusiast - Level 2

1,  Yes, wireless is enabled.

2.  I"m using WPA-PSK

3.  Westell Wirespeed Model # B90-210015-04

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok.

#1 Read all of the directions, before doing them.

#2 Go to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7553

#3 Download that tool that they are talking about.

#4 In your computer go to Start -> Control Panel -> Network Connections.

As need be, switch to classic view to get there.

#5 If you only have one NIC listed in there:

a) Right click it and go to properties.

b) Click on properties.

c) Your screen now looks like the screen that you see just below step 8 listed at http://portforward.com/networking/static-xp.htm

d) I know that your router has a built in switch in it. If you do not have a hub or a switch that is not built into a router, disconnect your computer from the router.

e) Select TCP/IP and select properties.

f) Set the computer to use:

IP Address: 192.168.1.200
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

g) Disconnect the modem from the router.

h) Connect the computer the modem.

i) Install that tool from that FAQ.

j)

Once installed, don't forget to use ** CTRL-ALT-F7 ** to reveal several "hidden" tabs, the signal levels and error counters, so forth.

k) Go to DSL tab.

l) Record the info that is there (This could mean a screen shot) .

--

To get back online:

a) Disconnect the computer from the modem.

b) Set the computer back to use DHCP (Obtain an IP address automatically).

c) Connect the router to modem.

d) Connect the computer to the router.

---

If your computer has at least two NIC(s), one of them is a wired NIC, and you have a hub or a switch that is not part of a router...

#1 Disconnect the router from the modem.

#2 Connect the modem to the hub or switch.

#3 Connect the router's RJ-45 WAN port to the hub or switch.

#4 Make sure that it is correct setup, so that you can still access the net.

#5 The NIC that is connected to the router, can remain setup for DHCP or a Static IP.

#6 If the router is setup to use 192.168.1.1, then the other NIC is setup for example to use these Static Settings...

IP Address: 192.168.2.200
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

#7 Connect the other NIC to the hub or switch.

#8 Then install that tool from that FAQ and get the modem stats.

0 Likes
jeffsher_
Enthusiast - Level 2

My results show an upstream data rate of 448 kbps and downstream of 1216 kbps, which is below the minimum for my plan.

There are also a lot of errors:  FEC, CRC, and HEC. 

Is this a modem issue, a distance issue (15k line feet from the CO) or something I need to call Verizon about to get a higher speed, since I"m paying for it? This is lower than I got when I first upgraded to this package (I was getting download speeds of 1.5-1.6 mbps)

Here is the link to my screenshot:

http://tinypic.com/r/1zy7bpc/7

Thanks.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since stats are judged based on the relationships between sync rates, attenuation, noise margins, power required, line mode, etc.

The best thing to do would be to post the stats over at the DSLR (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/ilec,vz) Verizon message board, and maybe a line test at DSLR, and let the experts at DSL Reports help out.

0 Likes
Techrookie
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have the same plan and when I first signed up a year ago I was getting 2.8/2.9; now it's always below 2. Nobody has been able to explain why it changed so drastically and I have spoken with more than one tech support supervisor and posted on various forums. When my 1 year commitment is up later this month I'm saying goodbye to Verizon DSL since they want to charge me more for a product which is not performing as well. They can't tell me when and if FIOS will be available to me any time soon either so I'm going with my cable company for a much better deal.

I realize this doesn't help you much but I just wanted to give you an idea of what you're up against so don't expect a resolution any time soon.

Good luck.

0 Likes
jeffsher_
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just posted at DSLR.  Thanks; I appreciate the help.

0 Likes