Gd53

It won’t let me sign in

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Trouble with PlayStation 4
andreww2
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you ever run into this problem again.  And the PS4 Tests show you have Internet connection but can't autenticate.  It's probably a DNS problem.  

On a Windows based machine.  Open up a command prompt.  Use the command NSLOOKUP

And type in the following URL auth.api.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com
It should reply with an IP address.
If it replys with a Timeout then it's a DNS issue.  You have to do this multiple times in a rapid sucession.  You should always get an IP address reply.  Otherwise Your PS4 will fail to authenticate.  The PS4 does multiple lookups to prevent people from faking logins.

This is a Verizon issue if it happens because a network misconfiguration or they're trying to block something.  I resolved this temporarily personally by using a VPN.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Not enough info. Have to know more, like...

What the brand and model of your router is?

What type of connection does the PS4 have (wired or wireless) ?

Is this DSL (telephone lines) or FIOS (Fiber Optics) ?

tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

There are number of port settings you need to set up.  Or take the more risky but easier option of using UPnP.

From PS4 doc

"Use PlayStation™Network to connect your PS4™ system to a PlayStation™Network server or to another PS4™ system. When you're using PlayStation™Network at an office or other location with a shared network, a firewall or other security measures might prevent your PS4™ system from connecting to PlayStation™Network. If this occurs, refer to the port numbers listed below, which are used when you connect your PS4™ system to a PlayStation™Network server.

• TCP: 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480
  • UDP: 3478, 3479

For online activities such as competing with other players while your system is connected directly to other PS4™ systems, a different port number is used each time you connect."

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the PlayStation Network Test showing when you run it? You should be able to run that even without an active sign-in to the PlayStation network.

andreww2
Enthusiast - Level 1

If you ever run into this problem again.  And the PS4 Tests show you have Internet connection but can't autenticate.  It's probably a DNS problem.  

On a Windows based machine.  Open up a command prompt.  Use the command NSLOOKUP

And type in the following URL auth.api.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com
It should reply with an IP address.
If it replys with a Timeout then it's a DNS issue.  You have to do this multiple times in a rapid sucession.  You should always get an IP address reply.  Otherwise Your PS4 will fail to authenticate.  The PS4 does multiple lookups to prevent people from faking logins.

This is a Verizon issue if it happens because a network misconfiguration or they're trying to block something.  I resolved this temporarily personally by using a VPN.

teammm

I'm on FiOS and when trying to connect to WiFi with the PS4, it obtains my IP address successfully but then the internet connection fails. I have WPA2 set up, I've restarted the router, changed the SSID, but nothing seems to work. I can only connect using a LAN, which is not what I want to do permanently. Do you have any suggestions on what could be the issue?

0 Likes
PsychoMan

I had the exact same issue after my father restricted my Playstation 4 from the router using the parental controls and now my Playstation only works using a LAN cable and will only obtain IP address and then says every other part of the test has failed

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

As this thread is now over two years old, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes