understanding the Wireless modem
JenniferJu2

well Im connected to the net but I dont quite understand how this wireless modem is supposed to work.  I was under the impression that it would be....well....wireless...save for the power cord  but so far thats not my luck.  I have a desktop home computer that the wireless is connected to using a blue cable...and the ethernet cable and the wireless modem is also connected to the regular phone line of course.  I asked someone and they said I could unplug the ethernet cable and I did but lost internet connection and the modem is right next to the computer so its not a signal strength problem...My computer is brand new...is it possible that it needs a wireless adapter?

Id appreciate any info  Smiley Happy

0 Likes
Re: understanding the Wireless modem
Devs_Advocate
Contributor - Level 1

If  you have a new computer, it should come with wireless built in.  Most new models, even the really cheap ones, come with built in wifi.  It sounds to me like you just need to set it up.  The user manual for the wireless router will have a section telling you how to set up a wireless network which is pretty easy to do.  If you don't have the physical copy, just type in the model number in google's search and you should be able to find a copy online on the manufacturer's website.  If it's too confusing to set it up, which it can be, you can have a friend set it up or there are places that will do it for around $20-$30.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I actually ran across a new HP pc with win 7 and it didn't have a wifi adapter built in, I was in disbelief so I went to the manufacturers website looked up the model number and sure enough it only had a 10/100 card.    so as odd and as rare as it is, some new pc's don't come with the wifi.  I would still say it's a very very small percentage of them, this was an odd one out of the bunch, I hadn't seen that happen in YEARS.  

so just saying, don't discount that possibility, it may be the case.  look at the model number of the TOWER and look at the tech specs for something that says Wireless lan or wifi in the list of things it comes with.

0 Likes
JenniferJu2

thanks a lot Smiley Happy  No..odd as it is there was no manual.  I will try finding one on line as you advised.  And yes I got the comp for christmas so its braaand new.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

What is the brand and model of that device that you can not find the manual to?

0 Likes
Dephinix
Enthusiast - Level 3

Just poked in briefly and saw that everyone was expecting "new computers" to all have wireless functions? For netbooks and laptops, of course, but you didn't say if you had either or if it was in  fact a desktop. I've never seen a desktop with built in wireless, no reason for it really(imo).