Unhappy with Yahoo portal
rdcarney128
Enthusiast - Level 2

I recently switched to Verizon DSL because my long-time ISP sold out.  When filling out the online registration process, I was prompted repeatedly to choose either Yahoo or AOL; thinking this was a requirement, I chose the lesser of the two evils.  I did so only because every page said this could be changed later.

Since I'm on the road all day, I need to be able to use webmail to access my email.  I was shocked to find out that I am now forced to use the cluttered and distracting Yahoo page to access my webmail.  Verizon tech support tells me it is now impossible to reconnect me to the Verizon email account.

This is unacceptable.

What must I do to get rid of the annoying and useless Yahoo pages, and switch to a plain-and-simple Verizon email account?  I cannot believe that I will now be forced to put up with a "portal partner" forever simply because I made a very simple mistake during the registration process.  It's so annoying that I can't even log into this forum using my Verizon web login, I had to use a separate account from the Verizon.com website!

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: Unhappy with Yahoo portal
digdug
Enthusiast - Level 2

I asked the same thing to unbrand the yahoo & was told I had to cancel my DSL & open a new DSL account. I guess there is an option not  to have MSN or Yahoo now , but I dunno for sure......seems like to much hassle to go thru that , & knowing my luck,  I would loose my spot at the central office & loose DSL entirely.

I have a VZW account too, but if I remember I still had to make a seperate account for this community forum.

0 Likes
Re: Unhappy with Yahoo portal
somegirl
Champion - Level 3

You can get rid of Yahoo by switching to AOL. Unlike the Yahoo portal, there is really no difference between an AOL account and a normal Verizon account other than the *option* to download additional software if you choose to. AOL accounts use Verizon's servers, Verizon's webmail, etc.

It is important to note that when you migrate away from Yahoo, any mail, contacts, etc. that you have do NOT come back with you. They are stored on Yahoo's servers, and Yahoo does not give that data back to Verizon. You can get the data back though. After you have switched portals, log into http://verizon.yahoo.com with your @verizon.net address. It should tell you that your account has been cancelled, and in the lower right-hand corner there will be a "Transfer Information" button. When you click on that button, it will walk you through transferring your content to a free yahoo.com account. Once the data has been transferred to the yahoo.com account, you can use Trueswitch (offered for free through Verizon) to transfer the data from the yahoo.com account to your verizon.net account.

Hope this helps!

0 Likes