Upgrade from Westell 6100 modem to a DSL wireless modem/router
GASU1

I currently have a Westell 6100 wired modem.  I want to install a wireless modem/router.  It looks like there are 5 devices listed on Verizon's site (Versalink . . ., Linksys . . . , Actiontec . . . various models).  Can someone recommend which of these is the best?  I only want to connect a wired desktop, a wireless laptop and probably a Wii game console.  Is one more trouble free than another?  Easier to setup and manage than another?  Suggestions would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Upgrade from Westell 6100 modem to a DSL wireless modem/router
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

Here's what I recommend.

Ask Verizon to replace your Westell 6100 with a 6100G or a 7500.  Both of these support wireless connections.  If you are a fairly recent new DSL customer, Verizon should have given you a wireless DSL router to begin with.  That's what they promise. 

In most situations, Verizon will be happy to accomodate you.  And in most situations, either of these will work well.  You only need the 7500 if you intend to connect more than one ethernet computer or device. 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader
I might mention, the Westell 6100 can support more than one Ethernet computer. Just need to attach an unmanaged switch and use the Westell 6100's built-in routing abilities.
0 Likes
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

Agreed, but if you have 2, 3, or 4 ethernet devices,  a 7500 is a better solution than a 6100 plus a switch.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@RetiredDBA wrote:

A 7500 is a better solution than a 6100 plus a switch.

I am just wondering..

Please tell me why do you think that.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Tferguson3

Upgrade from Westell 6100 modem to a DSL wireless modem/router

0 Likes