Upgrading Modem/Router
BrineTex

I'm on Verizon DSL and using an Actiontec GT704WGB. Have purchased an Actiontec GT784WNV and am ready to install. Do I need any information beyond my Verizon User ID and Password? I have the installation instructions and I've done the installation before. Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Upgrading Modem/Router
MARBER1

I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your question. I don't know a lot about this stuff. But I'm wondering why you're buying your own modem? I use the one Verizon gave me. I'm not fully satisfied with the speed, etc. I don't know if that has anything to do with my lack of satisfaction or not. Would buying a different modem improve my speed, in your opinion?

Thanks.

marber1

0 Likes
Re: Upgrading Modem/Router
BrineTex

I'm also using the modem / router which Verizon sent me (GT704WGB). I've had it for a few years and it still works pretty well but specifications change over time. The new device which I'm going to try is (supposedly) supported by Verizon. Although built by Actiontec, it has Verizon stamped right of side of it. The new device supports a specification called 802.11n. My old Actiontec does not. The new spec is supposed to improve reliability, extend the range and boost the speed a bit. I don't know how realistic that is but am willing to give it a shot. My DSL is not as robust as it once was. Maybe this will help. If I ever manage to get it set up, we shall see.

0 Likes