Verizon is Unknown Host????
Techrookie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Can anyone please explain to me what the stats below mean? My DSL service is getting worse every day and I cannot connect to pages for long periods of time. I have to hit the "refresh" button multiple times to finally get the page to load properly.

I am using a Westell 2200 modem and a Netgear router. I have a 3Mbps plan and the modem stats show that I am connected at 2.9 and the speed tests usually show 2.4/2/5 which isn't too bad.

Any assistance with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

CURRENT MODEM STATUS
DSL Modem Status....... Up
PPP Session Status...... Up
Connection Type......... PPPoE
Time set from............. Local
Time since last boot.... 2 days, 4 hrs: 28 mins: 27 secs

EVENTS
Events are listed starting from the most recent. **********************************************************************

MON AUG 02 20:46:55 2010 DNS: Unknown host: '208.204.74.208._v4.80.forums.verizon.com._ac_TRE-TRETIS16.wrs.tr'

MON AUG 02 20:46:44 2010 DNS: Unknown host: '136.244.43.208._v4.80.b.collective-media.net._ac_TRE-TRETIS16.wr'

MON AUG 02 20:46:43 2010 DNS: Unknown host: '148.204.14.72._v4.80.fls.doubleclick.net._ac_TRE-TRETIS16.wrs.tr'

MON AUG 02 20:46:43 2010 DNS: Unknown host: '148.204.14.72._v4.80.fls.doubleclick.net._ac_TRE-TRETIS16.wrs.tr'

MON AUG 02 20:46:28 2010 DNS: Unknown host: '107.85.154.64._v4.80.ehg-verizon.hitbox.com._ac_TRE-TRETIS16.wrs'

MON AUG 02 20:46:27 2010 DNS: Unknown host: '29.64.6.96._v4.80.www22.verizon.com._ac_TRE-TRETIS16.wrs.trendmi'

MON AUG 02 20:46:27 2010 DNS: Unknown host: '25.97.12.80._v4.80.verizon.com._ac_TRE-TRETIS16.wrs.trendmicro.c'

MON AUG 02 20:44:21 2010 DNS: Unknown host: '156.117.17.69._v4.80.speakeasy.net._ac_TRE-TRETIS16.wrs.trendmic'

MON AUG 02 20:41:25 2010 DNS: Unknown host: '156.117.17.69._v4.80.speakeasy.net._ac_TRE-TRETIS16.wrs.trendmic'

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon is Unknown Host????
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mechanics600 wrote:

I have a question about bypassing the router and going directly to the modem.  Is it not simpler to just connect a cable from the computer to a port on the modem to access the menu?

Well that depends.

Why yes: If the modem combo is in router mode...

#1 Release the IP Address on your computer, as need be.

For example if on Windows XP..

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) At the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /release and press enter.

#2 Disconnect the computer from the router.

#3 Connect the computer to the modem combo.

#4 Renew the IP Address on your computer, as need be.

This would mean for example, at the command prompt, type in ipconfig /renew and press enter.

--

Why no: If the modem combo is in bridge mode, then the third way that I posted. I will only repest one of the lines that I said in my post above.

If you want to connect your computer to the modem, which the FAQ owner says would be easier and simplier.

^^

If you have a Hub or an unmanged switch, you could put it between the modem combo and the router...

But you will still have to setup a Static IP on your computer (the same subnet of the modem combo), after disconnecting the computer from the router and before connecting the computer to the hub OR unmanged switch.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Since you have two routers (Netgear and the Westell 2200), you may want to follow the info at

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/9265

-

Perhaps that will solve your issue?

0 Likes
Techrookie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for the information. I changed the modem to "bridge" status and it seems to have improved somewhat. However I can no longer log in to the modem; when I put in the ip address for the modem I get the "cannot display webpage" message so I'm not really sure if the problem still exists since I can't get to the stats. Do I need to change something in the router settings to be able to access the modem now that it's in bridge mode? How do I change it back to what it was if I need to?

Thanks for the help.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Techrookie wrote:

Thanks for the information. I changed the modem to "bridge" status and it seems to have improved somewhat.

Thanks for the help.

You are welcome.

@Techrookie wrote:

However I can no longer log in to the modem; when I put in the ip address for the modem I get the "cannot display webpage" message so I'm not really sure if the problem still exists since I can't get to the stats. Do I need to change something in the router settings to be able to access the modem now that it's in bridge mode? How do I change it back to what it was if I need to?

Thanks for the help.

I point to http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7267

If you do not have a Hub or a unmanged switch, please post what the model of that Netgear router is.

0 Likes
Techrookie
Enthusiast - Level 3

The Netgear model is WGR614 v6. Based on what I read on other forums there is no way to "see" the modem when it is in bridge mode but I am hoping that you can clarify. Thanks.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I take it you do not have a Hub or unmanaged switch.

Ok.

You are doing the Alternate Method that is addressed at http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7267.

If you had a Linksys router...

If a 10 Mbps hub and a second NIC or spare PC is unavailable, then the following configuration changes to the Linksys are required for accessing the modem through the Linksys. Unfortunately, this will cause a loss of Internet access.

--

Since you do not have a Linksys router, these are the correct steps for your router.

#1 In the Netgear router go to LAN IP Setup.

#2 It will look something like the screen that you see at

http://screenshots.portforward.com/Netgear/WGR614v6/LAN_IP_Setup.htm

#3 If the LAN IP of the modem combo was 192.168.1.1 and the current LAN IP of the Netgear does not start with 192.168.1, you are almost good to go.

b) Otherwise, change the LAN IP of the Netgear so - for example it is 192.168.2.1, then go to step 4.

#4 In the Netgear router go to Basic Setup.

#5 It will look something like the screen that you see at http://screenshots.portforward.com/Netgear/WGR614v6/Basic_Settings.htm

#6 Select No, to Does Your Connection Require a Log-in.

#7 For the IP Address, select Use Static IP:

a) For the IP Address, enter in 192.168.1.6

b) For the Subnet Mask, enter in 255.255.255.0

c) For the Default Gatewaty enter in 192.168.1.1

d) For all of the rest of the settings, leave alone.

e) Press apply.

#8 Now go 192.168.1.1 with your web browser, and log-in.

To get back online, after you are done in the modem combo.

#1 Go back to Basic Settings.

#2 Enter in the info that you need to get back online.

c) And press apply in the router.

---

If you want to connect your computer to the modem, which the FAQ owner says would be easier and simplier.

#1 First in the Netgear disconnect from the net.

#2 Disconnect the cable that connects the modem from the Netgear router.

#3 Disconnect your computer from the Netgear router.

#4 Setup a Static IP on your computer.

http://www.portforward.com/networking/staticip.htm

#5 The settings that you should use if the modem's IP Address was 192.168.1.1 (when it was not in bridge mode), are:

IP: 192.168.1.6

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

#6 Connect your computer to the modem combo.

#7 Go to 192.168.1.1 and log-in.

To get back online, after you are done in the modem combo.

#1 Disconnect your computer from the modem combo.

#2 Set the computer back to use, DHCP.

#3 Connect computer to the Netgear router.

#4 Connect modem combo to Netgear router.

#5 In the Netgear router, reconnect back to the net.

^^^^

0 Likes
Techrookie
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks a lot for your help; this is exactly what I was looking for and the detailed steps were excellent. There is no "easy" way to do it without  changing settings but it does the job!!!! Much appreciated.

mechanics600
Contributor - Level 2

I have a question about bypassing the router and going directly to the modem.  Is it not simpler to just connect a cable from the computer to a port on the modem to access the menu?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@mechanics600 wrote:

Well that depends.

Why yes: If the modem combo is in router mode...

#1 Release the IP Address on your computer, as need be.

For example if on Windows XP..

a) Go to Start -> Run.

b) Type in cmd and press enter.

c) At the new window, called the command prompt, type in ipconfig /release and press enter.

#2 Disconnect the computer from the router.

#3 Connect the computer to the modem combo.

#4 Renew the IP Address on your computer, as need be.

This would mean for example, at the command prompt, type in ipconfig /renew and press enter.

--

Why no: If the modem combo is in bridge mode, then the third way that I posted. I will only repest one of the lines that I said in my post above.

^^

If you have a Hub or an unmanged switch, you could put it between the modem combo and the router...

But you will still have to setup a Static IP on your computer (the same subnet of the modem combo), after disconnecting the computer from the router and before connecting the computer to the hub OR unmanged switch.

0 Likes