Verizon Spam Detector
mroman789

Verizon's 3rd party spam detector is terrible.  On quite a few occasions I have had e-mails bounce back to me because they are identified as "spam."  These e-mails are often replies or forwards to clients, often of a time sensitive nature; there is nothing in them that could possibly be interpreted as spam.  They are single e-mails sent to single recipients.  I've found that forwarding them to the spamdetector.update@verizon.net is absolutely useless.  I've never received a reply or confirmation, and have never had the problem resolved.  Once my current service contract runs out, I am switching to a different service provider. 

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Spam Detector
prisaz
Legend

@mroman789 wrote:

Verizon's 3rd party spam detector is terrible.  On quite a few occasions I have had e-mails bounce back to me because they are identified as "spam."  These e-mails are often replies or forwards to clients, often of a time sensitive nature; there is nothing in them that could possibly be interpreted as spam.  They are single e-mails sent to single recipients.  I've found that forwarding them to the spamdetector.update@verizon.net is absolutely useless.  I've never received a reply or confirmation, and have never had the problem resolved.  Once my current service contract runs out, I am switching to a different service provider. 

If it is bouncing back, it is not Verizon's spam detector but the other provider. In my experience the outgoing mail is not filtered for spam once your mail client logs in to send it. If you send spam from your Verizon account they would let you know in a hurry and then probably lock you account. There is no reason to for Verizon to block any outgoing mail as spam.The spam detector filters incoming mail which work pretty well. I have mine set to keep the filtered mail in the spam box and then I go in through webmail and clean it up from time to time. A friend of mine has had his ISP reject mail from me and identify it as spam based on a bad entry on their black list. Verizon should contact them and solve the problem. Also Verizon has rejected mail from this person's ISP before and on both occasions they have made sure the issue was fixed. I will see what I can do to raise attention to this issue.
0 Likes
mroman789

No - It is Verizon's spam filter.  This is the message I receive from Verizon:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:    RE: Help
      Sent:    3/6/2009 8:15 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'[redacted]' on 3/6/2009 8:15 AM
            550 5.7.1 The message you attempted to send was determined to be spam. Please visit http://www.verizon.net/spamfaq for more information.

If you go to the Verizon webpage listed in the automated response, this is the first thing it says:

"Verizon adds additional security and protection to subscriber accounts by taking measures both to prevent spam from being sent to our customers and to safeguard our network from being used by spammers. These measures include scanning all incoming and outgoing e-mail so that spam can be captured and contained before it reaches our customers or before it can be sent from our network."

The bounceback is instant from when I send the message.  The recipient is not on the Verizon network. My message is not even reaching the other provider.  This isn't the only instance of this happening either; I've e-mailed other colleagues and had the same result, but it is inconsistent.  This particular recipient I usually e-mail a couple of times per week, but this is the first time it has bounced back from this e-mail address. I end up wasting too much time trying to work around this and get my e-mail to the recipient.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
Wow! That must be their new system. I can say it never happened to me like that. I know recently they have started a new policy that blocks users from useing other SMTP servers that do not belong to them, and are not on their network. I guess I would be upset also if this were to happen to me. They should fix it. Sorry to hear of your difficulties. I have passed a link to this post on to some people that should take care of it. I am sure it will be resolved. If it does not get fixed please PM me and let me know. I have had the same verizon.net email account for 10+ years and what you have shown is news to me.
0 Likes
sosmart

So glad to have found this thread!  I cannot send messages this evening to my fiance, but was able to send out to only one other person.  Exactly what was written above is what happens to me, it is so frustrating, and the Verizon help site is well, no help at all!!!  The advice says to forward the rejected message but forwarded it is not an option, so how else am I to get any help and clear my fiance's name?

Please help!

0 Likes
mroman789
This happened to me again today to the same recipient.  It was again a reply to the sender.  The e-mail is getting to me, so it is going one way through the Verizon spam detector, but my reply is not getting past.  Yesterday I was able to send replies to this recipient.  If I create a new e-mail to this recipient it usually goes through.  I've tried e-mailing the issue to the e-mail address in the webpage, but of course get no response and the issue is obviously not resolved.  I've never encountered this with any other internet provider.
0 Likes
sosmart
So this morning I try  Verizon "Live Chat" which was an absolute joke!  After 45 minutes of silence (no response) I quit and phoned the company.  The 'assistant' I spoke with didn't understand what the problem was and wanted to do a screen share.  Now, I've done screen share before, however, last August my credit card info was stolen and used within 20 minutes of the time the screen share began.  Coincidence?  I don't know, but the majority of charges were outside of the US.  I don't see that this problem warrants a screen share (he wanted to see my e-mail settings) and I don't think that's the issue here, anybody feel the same?  Cannot send Verizon an email as the form keeps re-loading to search their site for assistance, no help there at all!  Now what do we do?
0 Likes
duffy1

the same thing happens to me.  i have messages returned (off and on) indicating that MY EMAIL was not send because VERIZON classified it as spam.   This is absurd.  I have talked 3 times with tech support and now they want me to pay for premium tech support to "resolve the issue" .  The issue is not my problem, it is Verizons'.  What can we do?

PS I was trying to respond to a client (first time);  send a quilting page as an attachment (second time); and trying to send the same page to myself (3rd time).   Since when quilting is SPAM? 

0 Likes
erna
Verizon's spam detector or security block is overactive again just as it was in 2005 when it blocked replies from the small number of people I was corresponding with in Germany and Japan. Now replies to mail sent to two parties in Germany and one in Switzerland have been blocked without my knowledge until these people phoned me asking why I don't repond to their emails. I unblocked one through the Verizon white list; the other I just learned about. This is terrible when you don't even know your mail is being withheld. By the way, all this mail gets through to my husband's account at a university, so how risky is it? Why should it be necessary to send people alternate email addresses, Yahoo for example, just to be sure of receiving legitimate mail?
0 Likes
dcasciato

I'm having the exact same issues. I cannot send a client of mine an email. I've been trying to send this particular email, with 4 MS Word attachments. These are articles I wrote for his newsletter that he needs to review immediately.

I've been trying to send this email since 7:30 p.m. yesterday. It's now 10:30 a.m. So it's been 15 hours. I contacted Verizon FIOS tech support and they keep sending me to the verizon.net/whitelist page. I also have forwarded my message onto the third party vendor at spamblocker.update@verizon.net.

I did all of this yesterday. And no one has responded to my concerns yet.

This is the second time in 2 weeks this happened to me.

I just feel that no one at Verizon FIOS cares. I can't even begin to tell you how extremely frustrated I am at this moment.

I'm going to start looking for another provider. Any suggestions would be welcome. I've had it.

0 Likes