Verizon tech said equipment maxed out, so why won't they fix it ?
semhoh

I want to stream HD movies from Amazon, and they are all dark. Amazon narrowed it down to our bandwidth, which is 3mbps max on a good day. The minimum for streaming HD is 5mbps. I verified this by using my cell phone hotspot instead of the dsl, and the movies were perfect. The only problem with that is I would have to spend a fortune on my data plan.

Verizon came out, replaced our modem & router, re-routed the circuit and basically got everything working as good as it possibly could. That's when the tech dropped the "bomb" (joking) on me: Their equipment is completely maxed out, to the point that if you bought a home here, you would have to get on a waiting list just to get internet service. How ridiculous is that?

My question to Verizon is this: Why do you continue to ignore the residents of Silver Lakes/Helendale, delay or put off equipment upgrades, and continue to tell us that you're sorry? Are we in a non-profit area for you? 

I would definitely take my business elsewhere if I could, but you already know that you have no competition out here, so why bother, right?

Hopefully, others from my community will see this post, and speak up as well.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon tech said equipment maxed out, so why won't they fix it ?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The tech is basically saying that the equipment is out of ports to service new customers. Unlike cable where you can keep adding modems to the same plant, having them share the total available bandwidth, DSL requires each customer to have a dedicated port on a DSLAM or remote in order to service a location. This is how DSL is often described as a dedicated line, not because the bandwidth isn't shared by any means.

If you're seeing slowdowns, support needs to be checking for congestion in addition to having the MCO take a look at the edge network equipment (Juniper BRAS and switches in between) to make sure there isn't a capacity issue. Often times, capacity issues are seen as slow speeds and packet loss during the evening hours. There are numerous sites out there that will let you test this, including testmy.net, pingtest.net and measurementlab.org.

If you can also get us your modem's Transceiver statistics so that we can make sure this isn't just a signal problem, then that would be great. We can also use this information to determine if there's a possibility of getting you more than 3Mbps.

0 Likes
semhoh

Thanks for the comments, smith6612. I'm not as tech savvy as you, but it really doesn't matter in this case.

Verizon is unwilling to provide the service that I require. I cannot force them to. 

The bandwidth that I have is the highest available.

It is not so much a matter of DSLAMS, junipers or bras here; rather it is a company that stonewalls customers whenever their needs require more than the very minimum of effort. Hopefully their apathetic attitude will cost them.

Meanwhile, we will be stuck in the 20th century for the foreseeable future...

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@semhoh wrote:

Thanks for the comments, smith6612. I'm not as tech savvy as you, but it really doesn't matter in this case.

Verizon is unwilling to provide the service that I require. I cannot force them to. 

The bandwidth that I have is the highest available.

It is not so much a matter of DSLAMS, junipers or bras here; rather it is a company that stonewalls customers whenever their needs require more than the very minimum of effort. Hopefully their apathetic attitude will cost them.

Meanwhile, we will be stuck in the 20th century for the foreseeable future...

Pretty much the case here. You really have to break past the stone wall to get anything done half of the time. FiOS is a different story, although that is a 21st Century network anyhow.

I'll be happy to help get this fixed up for you if you'd like. Just let me know the info I asked for above and we'll take it from there.

0 Likes
semhoh

@Smith6612 wrote:
Pretty much the case here. You really have to break past the stone wall to get anything done half of the time. FiOS is a different story, although that is a 21st Century network anyhow.I'll be happy to help get this fixed up for you if you'd like. Just let me know the info I asked for above and we'll take it from there.

Now that the holiday company has gone, back to the grind. If you're still of the opinion that there is any improvement to be squeezed out of my system, I'm all ears. If we're not going anywhere past the stone wall, then I don't want to waste your time.

So, please send me a pm, or post it here: More specifics on the tests, what info to get etc. Like I mentioned before, I'm no techie.

Thanks again, Steve

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@semhoh wrote:

@Smith6612 wrote:
Pretty much the case here. You really have to break past the stone wall to get anything done half of the time. FiOS is a different story, although that is a 21st Century network anyhow.I'll be happy to help get this fixed up for you if you'd like. Just let me know the info I asked for above and we'll take it from there.

Now that the holiday company has gone, back to the grind. If you're still of the opinion that there is any improvement to be squeezed out of my system, I'm all ears. If we're not going anywhere past the stone wall, then I don't want to waste your time.

So, please send me a pm, or post it here: More specifics on the tests, what info to get etc. Like I mentioned before, I'm no techie.

Thanks again, Steve

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
semhoh

Ok, here's what I got using traceroute:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.105.*.* (71.105.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
1 216.166.98.2 (216.166.98.2) 20 ms 216.166.98.3 (216.166.98.3) 21 ms 216.166.98.2 (216.166.98.2) 20 ms
2 216.166.96.140 (216.166.96.140) 0 ms 216.166.96.142 (216.166.96.142) 0 ms 216.166.96.136 (216.166.96.136) 0 ms
3 be4126.ccr41.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com (38.122.63.29) 2 ms be4125.ccr41.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com (38.122.63.5) 0 ms be4126.ccr41.iad02.atlas.cogentco.com (38.122.63.29) 2 ms
4 verizon.iad01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.12.46) 0 ms uunet.iad01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.13.138) 0 ms verizon.iad01.atlas.cogentco.com (154.54.10.226) 0 ms
5 B100.LSANCA-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net (130.81.22.247) 76 ms P0-15-0-0.LSANCA-LCR-21.verizon-gni.net (130.81.151.247) 76 ms B100.LSANCA-LCR-22.verizon-gni.net (130.81.22.247) 76 ms
6 P9-0.LSANCA-DSL-37.verizon-gni.net (130.81.*.*) 76 ms P10-0.LSANCA-DSL-37.verizon-gni.net (130.81.*.*) 77 ms P8-0.LSANCA-DSL-37.verizon-gni.net (130.81.*.*) 72 ms
7 * * *
8 * * *
9 * * *
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 * * *
13 * * *
14 * * *
15 * * *
16 * * *
17 * * Max number of unresponsive hops reached (firewall or filter?)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For tranceiver statistics, I have no idea how to provide you with that, so here is the brand & model of the modem/router that Verizon provided: Actiontec model GT784WNV.

Hope that is enough info to get things started.

Many thanks,

Steve

0 Likes
pjsutton
Contributor - Level 2

Go to a browser and type in 192.168.1.1   .  It will ask you for a user name and password, most of the time the username is admin and the password is password, or password1, or admin1.

Then, click on "status" and the "WAN Status" tab on the side.  Copy and paste what it says for "Broadband Status"

0 Likes
semhoh

OK, here's what I got:

Broadband Status

Broadband Parameter                                       Status

VPI:0
VCI:35
Broadband Mode Setting:ADSL
Broadband Negotiated Mode:G.DMT
Connection Status:CONNECTED
Downstream Speed:2528 Kbps
Upstream Speed:640 Kbps
Retrains:24