Verizon Tech staff continues to be semi-comptent
MrCurious2
Enthusiast - Level 2

The business about email and Port 25 reminds me once again of how Verizon continues to be semi-competent, at best.

For starters, the relevant page, www.verizon.net/port25, says that Port 25 blocking will start in 1Q09.  HUH?  It's now nearly 3Q09.

Continuing on, the FAQ is less than clear.  Why start with the tech stuff instead of addressing the quesiton that most users will have, "does this affect me?  What is this port 25 geekery?"

The FAQ could be much, much clearer, give clearer examples,  and offer some way for users to test their setup.

Alas, all this is only to be expected with a legacy company, particularly one in the telecomm business.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Tech staff continues to be semi-comptent
Quidestveritas

MrCurious is right on the mark here.  Most folks will read this and say "Well, does it affect me or not?"  They don't know Port 25 from Area 51, nor do they care.  A simple explanation of who is affected and who is not would have been easy to accomplish.  Does anyone read before they publish?

0 Likes
MrCurious2
Enthusiast - Level 2

And in making that comment, I speak as a geek!  I'm a techie; but even I can see what a lousy job Verizon did--just as it has done a sloppy-**bleep** job of designing this forum.

0 Likes
Re: Verizon Tech staff continues to be semi-competent
-Candy-
Enthusiast - Level 1

See..Now I do not agree.  Whenever I have needed to contact Verizon tech support I have found their agents knowledgeable, respectful, patient and more than willing to help.  Especially the ones in the chat room. 

As an example...one time I was having problems with my audio drivers disappearing.  Even though I don't have the Verizon Premium Technical Support service I went into the chat room and asked an agent about my problem.  Instead of saying that he could only provide support for Verizon Internet related issues he used the screen share function and..for three hours..doing everything he could think of to try and figure out what was causing my problem then...once he did....he spent another 45 minutes fixing the problem for me.  And the whole time he talked to me like a normal person...not an animated robot.  He even cracked a few jokes. 

And that is the kind of people I have come across EVERY time I have either spoke to them on the phone or in the chat room.  In fact....it's because of the chat room feature with the screen share that keeps me with Verizon.

somegirl
Champion - Level 3

@MrCurious2 wrote:

For starters, the relevant page, www.verizon.net/port25, says that Port 25 blocking will start in 1Q09.  HUH?  It's now nearly 3Q09.

Port 25 blocking is being rolled out incrementally. The first areas to have this implemented were changed in 1Q09.

@MrCurious2 wrote:

Continuing on, the FAQ is less than clear.  Why start with the tech stuff instead of addressing the quesiton that most users will have, "does this affect me?  What is this port 25 geekery?"

From verizon.net/port25 page:
Will I be impacted by port 25 blocking?
If you have a dynamic IP address and you use a third party email account to send email from a desktop client such as Outlook®, Outlook Express® or similar programs, you may be affected and should continue to read this notice. If you are using email provided as part of your VErizon service or a web-based email account from another provider, you will not be affected.

How do I determine if I am using a third party email account?
@If your email address is not part of your Verizon FiOS or High Speed Internet Service, and it does NOT end with @verizon.net, you are using a third party account.

While I agree that it could be more clear, anyone not tech-savvy enough to know what port 25 is probably shouldn't be changing their own settings anyway.

0 Likes