Very Slow DSL speeds
drumheller769
I have been a Verizon customer for 9 years. For most of this year I have been experiencing slow DSL speeds during prime time. I have tried both the Actiontec gateway (my original modem for 9 years) and the DLink (new modem from this summer). The problem occurs with both of them. It doesn't happen every single day, but 5-6 out of 7 days of the week my speed drops down to .1 Mbps-.3 Mbps (Yes, as low as 100 Kbps!) and stays that way the whole night. During the day I can get speeds of 2.85 Mbps, which is fine.

Power cycling the router for anywhere from 10-30 minutes doesn't usually help and can even make it worse. I have ensured during testing that I only have 1 wired device attached to the router. I have DSL filters on all my phones. I have been unable to check at my NID as I dont see a jack to plug into there when I open it up, the wire that I ran from my house out to the NID is plugged in behind a locked piece of plastic.

I have called many times and the phone techs have been unable to help. I believe the RO near my house is just over loaded, congested, out dated hardware.

Is it possible to be switched to a less congested circuit or have the hardware at my local RO updated to support the number of users in my area?

Could you also tell me if I am setup for interleave or fastpath?

Is there anything else that can be done about the speeds, this issue only started occuring around February of this year, previously speeds were fine.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

0 Likes
Re: Very Slow DSL speeds
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

There have been a lot of reports of service slow-downs over at DSLReports from those in Erie, PA and other areas. Many of these areas of PA are fed by Octal T1 DSLAMS (Adtran TA1248 IMA, total of 12Mbps down, 12Mbps up for up to 48 customers to share). Hopefully you're not on one of these, as they're junky by design, but we shall find out.

Can you hook up your ActionTec modem? This is the modem which will give us Transceiver Statistics, to figure out if you're on FastPath or Interleaved, as well as to figure out how your line is doing. The D-Link modem doesn't have a page for this information.

Once the ActionTec is connected, assuming it's the GT784WNV, go to http://192.168.1.1/ and click on Status > DSL Status. Copy/Paste the Transceiver information, but please remove the Username information for your PPPoE info, and also remove any IP addresses shown.

Default login will usually be admin/admin or admin/password unless it's been changed by you or someone else.

drumheller769

I dont have the ActionTec modem anymore, I had to send it back when I got the D-Link. I was also working with someone over on DSLReports Direct Support forum who switched me to Fastpath, I am hoping that will help. I will check it out once I get home again to look.

He did confirm that I am on the Adtran infrastructure out here though    😞

If I need more assistance I will post again in this thread. Thanks!

Thank you for replying.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Glad we were able to confirm that. They confirmed it was a T1-fed Adtran TA1248 IMA?

Just making sure, because Verizon does use Adtran TA5000 in their COs. They were installing one last summer in my central office, but I don't know if they're using it for DSL capacity, or to provide more ports for Fiber connectivity.

Seadoonva

We have had Verizon DSL for 9 years and it has been horrible for the last 5 or so years.  It is a really good day if we can surpass 1 mbps download and .5 mbps upload.  Verizon has over-sold in the area and refused to invest in the infrastructure.  Articles in the local media have addressed the issue.  This is a resort area and, during the summer months, the service grinds to an absolute stop.  Service is often out (or unusable) for hours at a time.  

Repeated calls to Verizon have been unsuccessful.  Tonight they did agree to replace the 9 year old modem.  

We have no alternative for service in the area, even though Shentel runs fiber within a quarter mile of our house.  

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you in Pennsylvania or Virginia?

0 Likes