Very Upset with the lack of care
Svoogt86

Okay, so Fios came to my home area a couple years ago when it first started which was very exciting for all I'm sure... Here's the issue I have, First of all, Fios was said to have been made available to all the areas in my state.  Years later I'm told I'm not eligable for verizons phone and DSL bundle.  Anyone who knows anything about DSL knows its **bleep** to begin with.  Secondly, I was informed that my range would be 1.1 to 3MBps for my internet, which although crappy I had no other option. The tech comes out sets everything up and tells me I will cap at 1.5 because of the area, I thought nothing of this.  Now I speak with a neighbor who has the same exact plan I have and she is getting the full 3MBps...So I call verizon and what am i told?  "Oh im sorry sir but for some reason the area you live in does not get anything more than 1.5MBps." Now you would think that they would actually care about their customers and keep promises they make to customers about making all services available as fast as possible.  But as the customer most people just stick their head in the sand and pretend like its fine.  I'm not that kind of customer so i say this verizon, it IS bad business to advertise availability of your products to all your customers and then tell a greater majority that the area they live in doesnt get your products.  It is moraling wrong to treat customers like a rabbit while you dangle the carrot.  I will be seeking a resolution to these problems and will update any who are interested.

0 Likes
Re: Very Upset with the lack of care
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Step one: Visit http://www.giganews.com/line_info.html and post up the Traceroute the page shows, if you wish. Be aware that your non-bogan public IP Address will show up.  It might shown up as the final hop (bottom-most line of the trace)  might contain a hop with your IP address in it. Either remove that line or show only the first two octets. What I'm looking for is a line that mentions "ERX" in it's name towards the end. If for some reason the trace does not complete (two lines full of Stars), keep the trace route intact.

For example this what I saw when I was using Verizon

news.giganews.com

traceroute to 71.242.*.* (71.242.*.*), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
    1 gw1-g-vlan201.dca.giganews.com (216.196.98.4) 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms
    2 ash-bb1-link.telia.net (213.248.70.241) 39 ms 7 ms 7 ms
    3 TenGigE0-2-0-0.GW1.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.125.125.41) 4 ms 4 ms GigabitEthernet2-0-0.GW8.IAD8.ALTER.NET (63.65.76.189) 4 ms
    4 so-7-1-0-0.PHIL-CORE-RTR1.verizon-gni.net (130.81.20.137) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    5 P3-0-0.PHIL-DSL-RTR11.verizon-gni.net (130.81.13.170) 6 ms 6 ms 6 ms
    6 static-71-242-*-*.phlapa.east.verizon.net (71.242.*.*) 32 ms 32 ms 33 ms

Step two: Can you provide the Transceiver Statistics from your modem?

#3 If you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of your modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to it: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#4 If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the modem, even if you know how to get the Transceiver Statistics from the modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

0 Likes
Re: Very Upset with the lack of care
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You will have to probably push to get more than 1.5Mbps. Although if you give the circuit some time (if you just got the DSL installed), the speed may move to 3Mbps automatically, as Verizon has an optimizer which changes your speed based on line conditions.

If you're in a FiOS area, expect Verizon to be very difficult to work with for anything DSL. They will want you to move to FiOS, even if it's the secret 5Mbps/2Mbps tier used to get people off of the DSL.

0 Likes