Website Blocked by Verizon DSL at home
cgorzynski

I am trying to help trouble-shoot my parents' DSL connection with a simple website blocking issue.

Any computer in the house cannot access http://www.jacquielawson.com/. However, this address can be accessed from my parents' workplaces and I can also access this website on my laptop if I am using my mobile broadband card (i cannot access this site if I am using my parent's wireless).

All other sites (to my knowledge) have no problem being accessed and the only pertinant history of this problem is that a short while ago they could not access their PNC Bank online banking website. This issue was eventually resolved due to PNC contacting Verizon as many people were having that issue.

The website http://www.jacquielawson.com/ is a reputable and well-known e-card sharing website. It is not illicit or easily misconstrued to be illicit.

Because it took hours and a lot of explaining the last time they had a similar issue (regarding PNC site), my parents are reluctant to contact tech support and spend even more time. I am hoping someone on this forum can advise me if there is something I can do to get the problem resolved other than contacting tech support.

I appreciate any advice. The parents love using that site for family e-card sending and communication.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Website Blocked by Verizon DSL at home
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon doesn't block websites, so what happened with PNC was that Verizon had sent PNC several emails to their site admins stating that users with the IP Address block 'xyz' were not able to access their site, and to update their filters.

TWO THINGS CAN HAPPEN.

Because the problem is tied to an IP Address or more specifically a subnet from verizon that jacquielawson.com has blocked, then your parents can unplug their modem over night in the hopes that in the AM they will receive a new IP and subnet to be on, and thus they will be able to access the website.    That is the easiest solution sometimes.

a 2nd thing that can be done, is that from your parents house, you access "whatismyip.com"  

Get your ip address.  (for example only,  if it is 172.66.5.43, you will remove the 43 and replace it with a 0 instead.)  that will be the subnet that you want to give jacquielawson.com, when you email them. 

Then you need to get the email address of their site admin's,  I went to all-nettools.com/toolbox, and found two emails that you should be emailing.

kelli.coburn@savvis.net &  mandrews@ag.com 

If you give me that subnet I could probably email them for you, but you want to email them something to the effect of: that you are a VZ user and it appears that their local network is preventing access from ip addresses in the following range, (give them your subnet here) which could be a result of an out of date filter.  please have your network admin update their filters to allow the ip space that is currently being used by VZ customers.

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Verizon doesn't block websites, so what happened with PNC was that Verizon had sent PNC several emails to their site admins stating that users with the IP Address block 'xyz' were not able to access their site, and to update their filters.

TWO THINGS CAN HAPPEN.

Because the problem is tied to an IP Address or more specifically a subnet from verizon that jacquielawson.com has blocked, then your parents can unplug their modem over night in the hopes that in the AM they will receive a new IP and subnet to be on, and thus they will be able to access the website.    That is the easiest solution sometimes.

a 2nd thing that can be done, is that from your parents house, you access "whatismyip.com"  

Get your ip address.  (for example only,  if it is 172.66.5.43, you will remove the 43 and replace it with a 0 instead.)  that will be the subnet that you want to give jacquielawson.com, when you email them. 

Then you need to get the email address of their site admin's,  I went to all-nettools.com/toolbox, and found two emails that you should be emailing.

kelli.coburn@savvis.net &  mandrews@ag.com 

If you give me that subnet I could probably email them for you, but you want to email them something to the effect of: that you are a VZ user and it appears that their local network is preventing access from ip addresses in the following range, (give them your subnet here) which could be a result of an out of date filter.  please have your network admin update their filters to allow the ip space that is currently being used by VZ customers.

cgorzynski

Thanks for the insight. If I don't have any luck with your solutions, I'll contact you again. I'll try unplugging the modem first and then try contacting them if that doesn't seem to work. Again, thank you for the detailed and explanatory reply!

0 Likes