Westell 327w and Wireless Access Point
harddrive747
Enthusiast - Level 3

I had DSL last year, but have since changed to FIOS, which I love.  So I have the Westell 327W modem/router that isn't being used.  I have decided to use it in another project for the 4 port ethernet and the wireless capability.

As this other project, we are using another service, which isn't DSL.  However, I figured that I could use the 327w as the wireless access point.  I currently have access to the internet through the provided internet service and from there I go into a Cisco ASA 5505 firewall.  From there I run an ethernet cable to the 327w.

As long as I plug a computer into one of the 4 ethernet ports on the 327w, I'm able to ping to the Internet using either the IP address or using DNS.  I'm able to surf and everything.

I have also set up the wireless and using WPA security and I'm able to connect a laptop to the wireless.  I get the IP address via DHCP from the ASA, so I have turned off the DHCP server on the 327.  I have also turned off the firewall.  I then test connectivity and I can ping anything on the network that is assigned by the ASA, but when I try to ping to an Internet address, by the address, I get request timed out.  I also don't get anything back on DNS and so forth.

What do I need to do on the 327 to allow the wireless to work with the current connection set up.

Thanks for the help and information.

0 Likes
Re: Westell 327w and Wireless Access Point
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

So, let me get this straight.

Your Current Setup: Internet -> Cisco ASA 5505 -> Westell 327w acting a hub/switch/wap = when on wired, works?

Your Desired Setup: Internet -> Cisco ASA 5505 -> Westell 327w acting a hub/switch/wap = when on wirless, does not work?

0 Likes
Re: Westell 327w and Wireless Access Point
harddrive747
Enthusiast - Level 3

I got it to work.  What I had to do was to set up the 327w in VLAN mode so that the wireless side would send the packets out the ethernet port to the ASA or another router.

In fact, I'm writing this on the wireless setting of the 327w.  So setting the VLAN allow the wireless to send and receive packets.