Westell 6100 Modem Settings
Cora
Contributor - Level 1

Good evening,

I was checking my dsl info in the the Westell modem when I decided to venture further.  I hope someone can assist me to understand the following:

The main page indicates my computer access is shared.  It is not; as far as I know.

1.  Shared:  Ethernet - 1 Device

2. (This concerns me)  Firewall - No Security   (I actually changed this to Typical Security)

3.  Security Log - Packets allowed in/outbound

4.  DMZ Host - disable

5.  Firewall log - Log Allowed - Inbound packets      }

Log Blocked Traffic - All Packets  }   I changed some of the settings.

Specified in Rules - Enabled          }

Adm. Access - Disabled                 }

Although I am paying for up to 7.1M, I have never received anything over 6.5-6.7M/36-37k.

These are the stats from the modem:

DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 7616 864 Margin (dB) 14.5 11.0 Line Attenuation (dB) 34.0 24.0 Transmit Power (dBm) 19.6 11.9
0 Likes
Re: Westell 6100 Modem Settings
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
* 1. Shared: Ethernet - 1 Device *

What is your OS and Version? For example Windows XP..

* 2. (This concerns me) Firewall - No Security (I actually changed this to Typical Security)*

Good job 🙂

* 3. Security Log - Packets allowed in/outbound *

Keeps a log of all traffic inbound and outbound.

* 4. DMZ Host - disable *

To be avoided as much as possible. Is equal to being directly connected to the net.

* 5. Firewall log - Adm. Access - Disabled *

To me that sounds like remote control of the router is disabled. Which is good thing to leave disabled unless you need remote access...

^^
0 Likes
Cora
Contributor - Level 1

Hello,

Yes, I was shocked when I saw the security setting for my modem.  I wonder if no security is the default setting for the Westell modems, since I certainly did not choose that particular setting.  I found with the "typical" setting, streaming videos would not come through.  I love watching movies on HULU and Justin.tv.  I had to choose a lesser security setting, which I do not recall the setting at the moment.  However, it certainly is not "no security."

My OS is Vista, Home Premium.  Also I do not use a router.

Thank you for the information.  It is very helpful.

Cora

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
What other levels are there, besides "no security' or "typical"...

How about medium - Does that exist?

Do streaming videos work then?
0 Likes