Westell 7500 ethernet issue
manookjw

One week ago I lost internet acess via ethernet. Which prevented my AOL software from being able to sign on. I've worked with AOL techs and I've run diagnostics on the connections and the Westell 7500. I can get on the web via IE or Goggle via wireless, but not signing on through AOL software. I've done clean installs of AOL software 3 times. Plus I keep getting this error 651 when I try to connect via broadband. When I restart the computer, the default setting to connect via ethernet does not stay on, but rather turns on via wireless.

I'm lost as to a solution, short of asking for a new router. Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Westell 7500 ethernet issue
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It's been ages since I've touched the AOL client (haven't since I shut off my old dial-up service with them) but it may be possible the Broadband settings for AOL are trying to connect to the service through the Ethernet connection exclusively, but that does seem kind of oddball to me since I'm pretty sure the software doesn't care what adapter is being used, as long as the Host Operating System has some form of connectivity. There might be for all I know some oddball proxy setting it's tying into, but then that would also take out Internet Explorer (but Google Chrome would still work!).

If you disconnect from the Wireless and try to use Internet Explorer or Google Chrome through the Ethernet connection, does that work? It doesn't seem clear in your post. Does your PC indicate it has Limited connectivity or does it indicate it has full connectivity while the Wireless is shut off but while Wired is connected?

0 Likes
manookjw

The LAN adapter will work, but AOL still won't connect. When I try the Broadband connection using WAN miniport connection, all I get is an Error 651 message. I've contacted Microsoft regarding this error, and all the remedies they suggest to correct the 651 issue, don't work either. I've checked the driver for updates and it says that it's up to date. I'm at a loss as to why the TCP/IP will no longer work.

I'm open to ideas.

Thanks

0 Likes
weedeater1
Contributor - Level 3

If windoze7, did you try replacing the RAS driver file?

0 Likes
RetiredDBA
Contributor - Level 2

The Westell 7500 has a firewall inside of it.  Either this firewall or the windows firewall could be intercepting the AOL software's attempt to set up it's own kind of link to AOL itself.  I seem to remember a check box for AOL unders the "exceptions" list for Windows Firewall settings. 

Have you investigated firewalls as a possible reason?