Westrall 6100G
RamblingSid
Enthusiast - Level 3

For 2 years I was using a 6100 but recently Tech Support diagnosed problems with the modem and sent me a new 6100G.   Modem is connected to an Apple Airport base station and then wirelessly to 3 computers.  Old 6100 had 4 lights on, if no computers using internet and modem was idle all 4 lights were steady green.  About 2 weeks ago had problems connectivity and Tech Support/Verizon sent me a the new 6100G, a Westrall branded with Verizon's logo.  The new modem has only 3 lights on and even in an idle state the Data Light continues to flash fairly frequently, more than the occasional ping - is this normal?  The Internet light rarely flashes, even when on line but never does when computers are switched off.

All computers run Mac OS 10.6.2 - Airport Base Station is the older one that looks like a rounded pyramid - do have a 2.4ghz telephone in the house which is connected to the same jack DSL line goes in.  To the best of my knowledge all the line filters are working OK.

I guess I should also state that I live in the woods, our  nearest neighbour is about 1/4 of a mile away, so no chance they are leeching off us.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Westrall 6100G
RamblingSid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for that link, will look into it when I get home.  However I do require that the modem logs me  into the internet, can't do that from the Airport.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I am just wondering...

#1 Do you have a Fast Ethernet Hub OR a Fast Ethernet Managed Switch?

?

#2 See this FAQ.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/13600

b) Did or did you not follow it?

RamblingSid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks for that link, will look into it when I get home.  However I do require that the modem logs me  into the internet, can't do that from the Airport.

0 Likes
RamblingSid
Enthusiast - Level 3

Again, thanks for that link, instructions on how to bridge the modem worked fine.  I then had to go into the Airport Utility and create a PPPoE connection but wasn't too difficult.  Since doing this I have noticed that another problem I was going to bring up was solved.  Every now and again my internet speed would drop off to a standstill, then "reconnect" and come back up again.  Since I have bridged the modem it seems to be solid.