Who upgrated to DSL faster speed? Is it really FASTER?
luvboxerdog2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the basic dsl high speed internet.  I thought about upgrading but since they added $7 to my bill, probably not going to happen.  To those of you who pay for faster internet.  Do you really notice a difference?  Is it worth the extra $10 a month?  Our current speed is fine with just a 2 person household.  Plus we do not play games, or watch movies on line.   There is no FIOS in my neighborhood, so that is not an option.

0 Likes
Re: Who upgrated to DSL faster speed? Is it really FASTER?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It depends on your line and the equipment on Verizon's end, of course, as to what you will get.

The difference between 1Mbps and a 3Mbps line is noticable. Modern websites are so auto-play video and GIF heavy that the difference can be seen. Now if you jump from 1Mbps to 7Mbps, that is rather substantial. You'll go from being able to watch 360p/480p video to being able to stream 1080p with no problem.

As to whether or not the extra speed is worth it, is up to you and your/your family's usage patterns.

0 Likes
jroberts711

STOP. This just happened with me, but it wasn't so simple. Your answer is yes, it is a bit faster. Now if you want to know about pricing.... and service.... then read on.

I've been with Verizon for well over 15 years. I started having connectivity issues last year. They said reboot. I did. The problem got worse & I had to reboot often. I called & the man said I had an old modem and they'd send a new one. Well, it didn't come, and family illness became my priority. I didn't have the time to sit while Verizon gave me the run around (based on over 12 documented hours of frustration trying to resolve issues with my CELLPHONE).

Life got back to normal.ish, but my Internet got worse. I had to reboot AT LEAST once a day. So I prepared for battle and called on March 23. I told them I'd called and never gotten the router, but they said they didn't have a record of it. Of course. So I told them    I    need    a  new    router. It was going to take days. I convinced them to ship overnight (which in the end meant absolutely nothing).

Then I told them I wanted to get paper bills so they transferred me to billing, where the "nice lady" said I could UPGRADE my service from 1 mbps to up to 7mbps... FOR LESS MONEY! Well now thank you for contacting me. No wait. I called. And she even, bless her heart, signed me up for the Rewards program. So now I pay almost $3 less for faster Internet. However, at this point I can't say that it's much faster because when they "upgraded" me I had NO Internet for almost a WEEK! They'd sent me the router BUT I HAD NO INTERNET. Hours and hours on the phone with techs... Apparently because I'd upgraded they had to flip one switch off here and flip another switch on somewhere else... Really?! Days?! I hate to think what the stock market would do if Verizon operated it. Then  I had to wait a few MORE DAYS for a tech to come out to the house (because why should a valued customer who has been without service for almost a week have any priority over someone getting new service?).

Then guess what?! The technician came in the house, said everything was fine, looked outside, fine too. Apparently the problem was AT THE VERIZON STORE network. Some agent got things mixed up. OK. All fixed right? NOPE. A few days later, NO Internet... AGAIN! An hour on the phone and now the FOURTH technician has "fixed it."

So I keep documenting and when I ask the technician his ID he says they can't give out personal information. That's when I lost it. I've heard that a million times, but I found out you DO have to give out an ID.  He then told me his last name (or more likely the janitor's last name). Yep! They can't give out personal information but a LAST NAME is ok. It's just the ID number that is too personal. Well of course; when you go on a date through Match you never want to give out any personal information, but a last name is ok. Right?

At the start of our conversation I told him I wanted to talk to his boss or someone in charge. They hate that. Didn't matter that I told him I just didn't want to waste his time. "oh Miss (name here), but if you just give me 5 minutes I can help you take care of these problems you are having Miss (name here)" GAG! Fine. At almost 11pm I had no more fight left for him to keep dodging the boss thing so I just told him to send me to billing, reminding him that I had said that in the beginning. I felt they should do something for me to apologize for the time and stress of these inconveniences.

He said he would put it in the notes and at the end of the month they would issue a credit. Of course he didn't say if it was for $2 or $200. I said no, I wanted to talk to billing. He didn't want that, but "Miss (name here) is there anything else I can help you with? Miss (name here) do you need more technical help?" I told him no thank you and that I wanted billing and he clicked me over... Another click or two, nothing.... then the DIAL TONE. Another DIAL TONE If I had a dollar...

I'm over 50 and I have NEVER experienced such abysmal customer service in my life. I have been lied to, insulted, disconnected, and just plain hung up on.

So faster Internet speed + $3 savings on one hand --- appalling customer service from Verizon Internet AND Verizon wireless on the other hand...

Looks like I need to speed up too... to the nearest exit!

0 Likes
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi jroberts711,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases". You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe". Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes