Why are DNS loookups being blocked on DSL.
andreww2
Enthusiast - Level 1

Why are DNS lookups being blocked on DSL lines.

I know they are because when i do a NSLOOKUP on a windows machine.  In rapid sucession of random lookups attempts start timing out.   It doesn't matter which DNS server i use.  Verizon or a public DNS lookup provider.  It all gets intermittently blocked.

I got around this block by using a VPN.  So i know it's being blocked either due to Verizon's misconfiguration or purposefully. 

I hope this gets resolved soon.  No sense in calling tech support as none of those on the phone will understand a thing i'm talking about.

Re: Why are DNS loookups being blocked on DSL.
dobie_gillis
Enthusiast - Level 3

Yes, I'm having the same annoying problem, resulting in frequent timeouts in my browser. This has been going on for like a week now - I can't work like this any longer, I'm going to have to cancel my service if they're not going to fix this.

0 Likes
Re: Why are DNS loookups being blocked on DSL.
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Where are you setting the DNS Servers? On the modem, or are you setting the DNS servers locally against your computer / during nslookup? You could be seeing packet loss which the VPN masks, and if using the modem's DNS proxy, could be seeing an issue with the proxy.

Just need some more information to help troubleshoot what's going on some more. 

0 Likes