Re: Why is my DSL connection %95 slower than the rest of the nation?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TheDream wrote:

Smith Im really sorry to tell you this but none of that worked.

PC says Limited or No Connectivity,  So I did what you said. But I had no connection when I did that so I couldn't check the Transceiver Statistics.

Im at a total loss now. Any other ideas?

I just re-read your post above. I realized you have a Westell 2100, and not a Westell 2200. I must have confused the two modems. The Westell 2100 is a bridged modem, so there is no interface to reach it with. Do the same with assigning your PC a Static IP address (if you are unable to to connect to the modem right away using the below FAQ with the default "Automatically Detect" setting), however, this time disable any firewall you have running on your PC and use the Westell Diagnostic Utility to obtain the Statistics. The FAQ linked below contains a link to the utility as well as instructions on getting the statistics.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7553

Habbakuk
Enthusiast - Level 2

Well, for one thing www.speedtest.com is pointless for checking internet speed since it can vary a great deal.

You should probably first determine whether it is really the connection problem or a problem with your computer. Find somewhere else to connect to, or if you are using a laptop, go somewhere that has wireless and try there.

0 Likes
TheDream1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I guess you missed that I also did the Verizon Broadband test,. and the results were almost identical.

0 Likes
TheDream1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks Smith, but look what happned when i cliked the link that's on that page..

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.0.30319.225

The resource cannot be found.

Description: HTTP 404. The resource you are looking for (or one of its dependencies) could have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.  Please review the following URL and make sure that it is spelled correctly. 

Requested URL: /images/downloads/diagnostic.exe

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Looks like I will have to dig the tool out from the depths of the Internet. Give me some time to do this.

EDIT: Try using the tool on the linked pages. I do not know if they have changed this tool around now that the classic Diagnostic Utility seems to have disappeared from their server. There are two Westell 6110 models that have been designed for Verizon, so Westell refuses to provide a tool for them. Use the link below to see if the Diagnostic tool will load up while you are plugged directly into the modem. If you can get the statistics, that would be great.

http://westell.com/support/liteline-proline---model-6110/e90-611010-06

Failing that, we will need to get the statistics from another modem with a web interface, or we need to ask someone in Verizon with access to the DSLAM to provide the Statistics as seen by the DSLAM. That, or we need to see if the Westell has a Telnet interface that may prove useful. Verizon's site doesn't exactly provide the best documentation in regards to such problems, and obviously Westell's site is being of no real help to Verizon modems.

TheDream1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Smith back up a second. I know you are very likely a busy guy. So maybe i need to remind you that I am using a 2100 not a 6110. Or am I misreading something here?

I am trying to understand why you are telling me this about model 6110.

Also, are you saying that if I call verizon they wont be much help either?

LMAO!!! hey you arent the same smith that was in the matrix are you?

0 Likes
TheDream1
Enthusiast - Level 3

And I also need to remind you that I can't get online unless I am plugged into the router. So far anything I have tried to do with out the router doesnt let me online. remember? I'm  trying to look carefully to see if I missed anything and I dont see anything. At the moment I am not sure what to do until u answer the question about 6110..

ps I do appreciate your help though brother. So far you have provided a lot more than anyone else I know. But I still have this nagging issue. I also wanted to say its really weird that it appears to only affect  watching online vid. I am unable to see any other issue besides that one. Is that odd? Or is it just me?

0 Likes
TheDream1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Smith, this is getting really weird now. After I sent the last two responses, I went ahead and clikked the link just to see what came up. Not only did it take me to the page but it let me download the diagnostic thing, and I am still plugged into the router.

I am really confused now. because 1. I am not sure that its the right tool because eveything there says model 6110 and I have model 2100.

And 2. Supposedly I had to unplug from router to be able to see that. And I didnt.

I think my question now is, is that the right tool to use to diagnose model 2100?

and just for the sake of making sure we are on the same wave length this is what I saw on the page that link took me to

E90-611010-06
UpgradeN/A
DriverAvailable
USB Uninstall UtilityAvailable
Diagnostic Utility Available 
DocumentationUser Guide

Westell technical support is offered to Internet Service Providers, independent phone companies, and distributors. If you are an end user, please contact your Internet Service Provider for technical support.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 Get that Diagnostic Utility downloaded onto your computer.

Now, the harder part. (depending on what other hardware you have)...

--

If you have a hub/switch that is not part of a router...

#3 Disconnect the Westell from the Linksys.

#4 Connect the wire from the Westell to the port next to the uplink port of the hub/switch that is not part of a router.

#5 Connnect a wire from the Linksys's WAN/Internet port to any other port on hub/switch that is not part of a router, but not the uplink port,

--

If you have a computer with at least two NICs and the LAN IP of the Linksys is 192.168.1.1

#6 Disconnect one of the wired NICs from the Linksys.

#7 Setup that NIC to use these settings:

IP Address: 192.168.2.6

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

#8 Connect that NIC to the to any other port on hub/switch that is not part of a router, but not the uplink port OR to any other port(s) in use by the Westell and Linksys router.

#9 Now Install that Diagnostic Utility

Once installed, don't forget to use ** CTRL-ALT-F7 ** to reveal several "hidden" tabs, the signal levels and error counters, so forth.

#11 In that Diagnostic Utility go to DSL tab.

#12 Please post the info that you see from that Diagnostic Utility.

---

If your computer only has one NIC and it a wired NIC.

#6 Disconnect  of that wired NICs fron the Linksys.

#7 Setup that NIC to use these settings:

#8 Connect that NIC to the to any other port on hub/switch that is not part of a router, but not the uplink port OR to any other port(s) in use by the Westell and Linksys router.

#9 Install that Diagnostic Utility

Once installed, don't forget to use ** CTRL-ALT-F7 ** to reveal several "hidden" tabs, the signal levels and error counters, so forth.

#11 In that Diagnostic Utility go to DSL tab.

#12 Get the info from that Diagnostic Utility.

#13 After you get that info...

a) Close out that tool.

b) Disconnect your computer from the hub/switch that is not part of a router.

c) Change the computer settings to use DHCP.

d) Connect the computer to one of the Linksys's LAN ports.

e) Please post the info that you saw from that tool.

---

If you don't have a hub/switch that is not part of a router:

#3 Disconnect the Westell from the Linksys.

#4 Setup that NIC to use

#5 Connect the computer to the Westell.

#6 Install that Diagnostic Utility.

#8 In that Diagnostic Utility go to DSL tab.

#9 Get the info from that Diagnostic Utility.

#10 After you get that info...

a) Close out that tool.

b) Disconnect your computer from the hub/switch that is not part of a router.

c) Change the computer settings to use DHCP.

d) Connect the computer to one of the Linksys's LAN ports.

e) Please post the info that you saw from that Diagnostic Utility.

If you have any questions, please ask.

TheDream1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I know I have to get the diagnostic tool. But dont you see that's part of the problem?? I cant get it. Please look this stuff over first before you you waste your time like that. I finally found a diagnostic tool, but if you read whats been said. I think its the wrong one. The model number is all wrong.

I have a 2100 modem

the diagnostic tool clearly says 6110

As far as I know that's two different animals

If you saw the last comment from Smith he says hes going to have to dig to the lower bowels of the internet to find this creature. I got fed up last night and called verizon. Talk about an exercise in futility.  I could barely hear what the person was saying because they refused to talk into the mouthpiece. I had to keep telling them to talk into the mouthpiece. Every time I could hear them I'd tell them now I can hear you, but the next time they spoke they were off in the distance again. It made every thing take 3 times as long as it should have. 

Finally the battery on my phone starts to go dead. I told them my battery is going dead. I had already given them my cel number. One again she says something inaudible. Once again im like HUH???. And finally i understood, "We'll call you back on that other number"

Guess what?? They never called back

0 Likes