WiFi Connection
rjmat

Hi,

When I originally set up my Home Network about 4 or 5 years ago, I used a hard wire connection with Network Magic thru a Broadcom NIC card to the Westell 327W. About 2 years ago my NIC card was zapped by lightning, but I was still able to connect thru my Intel 2200BG WiFi. About two weeks ago, not being satisfied with the staatus quo, I uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for the Broadcom NIC card to be sure it was damaged - it was. Then I realized I could no longer connect to the internet using the WiFi. Can anyone help me restore my WiFi connection? I am using a Dell Inspiron 9300, WinXP Pro SP3, 2GB RAM.

Thank you,

Bob

0 Likes
Re: WiFi Connection
KaLin
Khoros Partner
Khoros Partner
Have you checked this list on Dell's site for any updated drivers or to repair a corrupted driver??
0 Likes
Mrdy
check to make sure you didn't accidentally turn off the Intel 2200BG WIFI.  Most laptops have a button/switch or hot key to turn off / on the WIFI.  Make sure that the Intel 2200BG is enabled in Device Manager. 
0 Likes
rjmat

Hi,

Yes, one of the first things I did was reinstall the drivers; but th'at is what got me in this predicament in the first place. I have since disabled the damaged Broadcom NIC.

Yes, I have checked to make sure the WiFi is turned on, on my system you use fn/f2 to toggle the WiFi on and off. My system does "see" my network, but when I try to connect it hangs on 'acquiring network address' and i've tried all three ways; Windows, Intel, and Network Magic.

Thank you both for your replies.

Bob 

0 Likes
rjmat

Hi,

Looks like I've been swept aside.  Does anyone have any recommendations for a possible solution?

Thank you,

Bob

0 Likes
Mrdy

temporarily enable ssid broadcast if disabled.

temporarily disable wireless security -- make a note of security key 

temporarily disable mac address filtering

make sure dhcp has enough ip address.

with these settings, see if you can connect w/ the wireless.  if you can, enable each security one at a time making sure you can connect each time you turn 1 on 

this is how i troubleshoot my wireless connection if i have a problem.

0 Likes
rjmat

Hi,

Well, my situation has gotten worse. I forgot my user name and password for the Westell 327W. So I can't make any changes.

In an attempt to resolve this situation I had purchased a PCI NIC card to replace the damaged Broadcom NIC; so I can now connect the I9300 to the Westell with an Ethernet cable. But other than that I am still nowhere. Someone is going to have to start out with the basics to help me with this predicament. Very basic.

Thank you,

Bob

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

If you call 800-567-6789 they can give you your user name and a temporary password. You can go to http://www.verizon.net/central/appmanager/portal/vzcentral

and click on My Account and setup a permanent password.

0 Likes
rjmat

Hi,

Okay, I regained access to the dsl modem on my old computer (~10 years, very slow), but my newer system (~5 years noticeably faster) does not 'see' the modem so I cannot 'set-up' that system to connect to the internet. I know this is elementary for some of you, but can someone walk me thru or tell me where I can get direction to re-establish an internet connection?Thank you very much.

Bob

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1
You need to plug an Ethernet line from the LAN port of the 327W into your NIC card's Ethernet port on your computer. Make sure the NIC card is set to obtain an IP address and DNS servers automatically. If you are wireless just search for the 327W's SSID and enter the WEP key and it will connect you.
0 Likes