WiFi Internet going off and on repeatedly
brenna3

Our Interent had been working fine, with the occasional need for a router reboot, but last Friday, it became very erratic, going on and off every few minutes. I could reboot and be on for 5 minutes and then off again. This happened in the past when we first got Kindles and I fixed it by setting up the router to accept N and G devices. Everything had been fine again, but now I cannot get the connection to stay on. I have tried resetting the router, turning off Firewalls, changing the security settings, but nothing has helped.

Any ideas on other settings to change? We are on a D-LInk router. The lights on the modem and router are green, even when it is not working. Even when it says we are all connected to D-Link and have Internet, we do not.

Thank you for anything to try.

0 Likes
Re: WiFi Internet going off and on repeatedly
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is your wired connection working?  If so, that would suggest something is interfering with your WiFi.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
ictasmias

Mine is doing the same thing. Ever since this morning. Dropping out every 5min. or so.

Is there any work being dsone in the area??? 19320

0 Likes
brenna3

I don't have any wired connection. Just the modem to the router, and everything is on wireless.

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@brenna wrote:

I don't have any wired connection. Just the modem to the router, and everything is on wireless.

Can you put a device on wired?  That will really help you determine if this is a WiFi issue or a deeper problem.

For example, one of your neighbors might have installed a 2.4GHz device on Friday and it's messing up your WiFi.  2.4GHz cordless phones and baby monitors are particularly hard on WiFi.

Test with Ethernet to rule WiFi issues in our out.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
ictasmias

Have you tried re-booting your router?

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ictasmias wrote:

Have you tried re-booting your router?

The OP said they've done that in the first post.

The next step is to test with wired Ethernet to determine if this is a WiFi issue or not.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
brenna3

OK. I'll try this when I get home. Thanks.

0 Likes
brenna3

I'm plugged in to the Internet through the router now and my connection is working great. Very fast and not going off. So problem seems to definitely be with wireless. What's next to try?

0 Likes
brenna3

Actually didn't stay on when plugged in through the router...trying direct link through without router at all...

0 Likes