WPA key with Westell Modem
bcjavier
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, I'm using a Westell 7500 Modem and I'm using a WEP key with it but I'm concerned that someone else may be stealing/bogging down my connection so I'd prefer to switch and use a WPA key. I have done it in the past but the problem is that every time I reboot my Westell modem (when the connection drops) it reverts back to its original settings. This is problematic as I've been told that I should change my SSID and password regularly but again every time I reboot the modem goes back to having the original SSID and password. Is there any way to reboot the modem without it reverting back to its original settings?

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks. Smiley Wink

Re: WPA key with Westell Modem
VZ_Javier
Enthusiast - Level 3

Dear Bcjavier,

After you configure your modem and settings are saved.  Go to the Advanced icon.  Please click it, then click on configuration file.  Please save that file to your desktop (your preference).  You can go to configuration file to restore if router is reset.  Let me know if that helps.  Thanks

jjbbgg1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Where do I go for instructions on how to convert the passkey from WEP to WPA on my Westell 7500?  I want to connect online with my VIZIO TV.  Thanks to anyone that may be able to help. (Verizon service support couldn't/wouldn't.) 

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The settings for WEP, WPA and perhaps WPA2 are found in the Wireless Settings under Advanced Wireless Security. Should be pretty straightforward from that point as to what you need to do 🙂

0 Likes