Yet Another Westell 7500 Problem
whowhawhere

Ok. This one has me completely confused.

I have had my Westell 7500 router for almost two years. Since day one I have had probelms with my connection constantly dropping, and always at night. Sometimes the drops would happen every half an hour, sometimes as often as every 30 seconds. I would have to continuously reboot the router in order to reconnect. When it first started happening, a couple calls were made to Verizon tech support, where they would just run me through the usual checklist and be done with it, solving nothing.

Now here is where it gets interesting.

Seven months ago, my router decides to work perfectly—and I do mean perfectly. For seven straight months, I never had one dropped connection. Never. Not once. The router was on pretty much 24/7 and in all the time that I spent online (which is quite a lot, especially at night) not one drop.

Jump ahead to two days ago: My connection started to drop again. It wasn't a gradual every-three-or-four-hours, but suddenly every 30 seconds my connection would go. I unplugged the cord running from the splitter in the wall jack to the router and switched ends, seeing if that would do something. It did. At least all day yesterday, anyway. Not one dropped connection. Now, it has started up again today.

If anyone can make any sense out of that (and I'm sorry if anything was unclear but my brain is frazzled by this) your help or advice would be appreciated.

0 Likes
Re: Yet Another Westell 7500 Problem
dwt1966

I have had a problem but just not as much as yours.My router seems to get way to hot I think so I cut it off for a day and it would go a week with no problem.Now I havent had a problem in a month.I dont know if that helped it or it just verizon internet.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is the router configured for PPPoE, DHCP, or Static Public IP?

0 Likes
whowhawhere

PPPoE, I believe.

I "fixed" the problem for about four days by replacing the cord entirely, instead of just switching the ends. But now, it's back to dropping its connection frequently, and again only at night. Seems time to consider other internet options.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 This router is connected directly to the phone jack, right (No DSL Filter, No Surge Protector, No telephone splitter) ?

#2 In the router go to System Monitoring -> Advanced Status -> Transciever Stats.

#3 and post the results.

0 Likes
whowhawhere

#1 No, it's plugged into a DSL filter.

#3 The results for that are:

DSL Speed: 862 / 158

Margin: 35.3 / 43.0

Line Attenuation: 24.0 / 13.5

Transmit Power: 0.0 / 12.9

0 Likes
tonym49

I have the same problem as you and have had verizon for two months. I am going to see if verizon can give me a different gateway or I am gonna cancell my contract and get cable internet.

0 Likes
whowhawhere

Good luck trying to get anything out of Verizon. I have been weighing my other options, including cable. But I'm not sure I want to go that route, since I hear just as many negatives about cable's service.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@whowhawhere wrote:

#1 No, it's plugged into a DSL filter.

If we understand each other, that is your issue.

I point to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DSL_filter

Where it cleary says that..

Typical installation for an existing home involves installing DSL filters on every telephone, fax machine, voiceband modem, and other voiceband device in the home, leaving the DSL modem as the only unfiltered device.

Meaning exactly what it sounds.

My DSL modem is not connected to a DSL filter, but everything else is and my connection is fine.

^^

0 Likes
whowhawhere

Sorry, I was thinking about the 2-for-1 adapter, not the filter.

So to re-answer your question, no the DSL line is not plugged into a filter, just the 2-for-1 adapter.

0 Likes