Youtube Speeds Atrocious
DilanGilluly

I'm on Verizon DSL 3Mbit DL by 864Kbit upload, and Youtube video buffering has been very extremely slow lately at best. Videos load fine on my iPhone with WiFi turned off(running off of LTE, which I don't like doing because of data limits). It's so bad that I can't even watch one second of a video without it pausing to load(and I do quite literally mean one second) And that's on the lowest quality of video available.

There was a time where I was able to watch 720p HD no problem. I also tried bringing the issue to live chat and like always they're helpless. Telling me stuff I've already tried doing, even after I told them that I already tried doing it. The most helpful suggestion was to "update flash player" That's obviously not the issue since it has been doing it since the last 4 versions(I'm on Google Chrome, which updates flash player automatically, the Adobe website doesn't even allow you to download flash player for Chrome anymore. I'm Network+ certified and have exhausted all troubleshooting measures that I can possibly think of, but for the sake of not getting repetitive suggestions, here is what I've tried so far(to no avail):

1. Rebooting the modem(several times.)
  2. Buying a new modem and installing it(which the old Westell was having 'other' issues)
  3. Running a new phone line to the modem
  4. Updating flash player
  5. Changing all ethernet and phone cables

It does work fine on VPN but the provider charges $10 a month for it, and it's utter **bleep** that I have to resort to that measure just to have usable access to Youtube.

I've had it, when Time Warner Cable technicians get done stringing the line to my house I'm switching to them. I've had it with this subpar service and the worst customer support I've ever experienced. As of today I will stop recommending Verizon anything to my customers.

0 Likes
Re: Youtube Speeds Atrocious
SlightlyTweaked
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've seen so many VZN DSL customers complaining about Youtube performance getting so horrible lately.  All of my kids have been saying the same thing.

I'm sure they'll deny it, but my personal opinion is that VZN is throttling back specific websites.  Youtube being one of them.

0 Likes
Grek79Ital

I have the same issues with youtube,  when it gets later in the night, It wont even load a video, it just sits there. How can we resolve this.

0 Likes
cindy1212
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have similar  issues  with  anything video.  Sad  but  Verizon  seems  unwilling  to  do  anything about  it.   A thought came to  me,   I  know  /i  spend a great deal  of time on  line  so   I am beginning to  think  this  is Verizon's solution  to  our  unlimited service,  they are    actually limiting   our  internet usage  but  slowing  it and  disconnecting  it  when  we try to  watch  any  video  material.      A  lot  of users   complain  that   verizon   is  ignoring  DSL  in  favor  of   Fios,  but  they admit that Fios  will only be offered  to  areas with dense residential.  Rural  and sparce  residential  areas  are  not included  in  any Verizon  plans.    Satalite   internet   is  not all  that fast and limited    making  it  useless  if you want to  use  Netflix  with any regularity.   For  most  of  us  in  rural areas internet connection   is   almost a necessity,  shopping,  information,  news, connecting with  family  etc.  but  Verizon  just isn't interested  in  providing service where  it is needed most.

0 Likes
YouTube videos won't run
rockvilleraven

I am having trouble playing videos on YouTube either the video freezes up or it will just run for one second.  Videos  play on Vimeo, but its just on that site.  Please help!

0 Likes
Re: YouTube videos won't run
WheresTheBeef1
Enthusiast - Level 1
Guys, do a quick search before posting. The Youtube streaming issue has been going on for months, and has been discussed ad nauseum.

Verizon, our most beloved o̶v̶e̶r̶l̶o̶r̶d̶ provider, has come out and said, quite frankly, they hear you but Verizon techs aren't sure who's responsible for network quality issues on their backbone. However, you'll be happy to know that all signs point to either Google or KimJongUnNetworks LLC. I know that doesn't solve anything, but at least a buck has been passed. If thats not called 'making progress', I don't know what is.

Verizon also wanted to thank you for identifying the network issues, and graciously offered to add a complementary $2.45 RSN fee and a $0.66 p̶i̶z̶z̶a̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶y̶ ̶s̶l̶u̶s̶h̶ ̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ administrative recovery surcharge to your monthly bill for your efforts. I sent them double that amount since I love FiOS so much. I suggest you do the same.

Please be happy with the most excellent services Verizon provides in exchange for your hard earned cash. All Verizon asks in return is that we not complain, since Verizon hears complaints all day, and quite frankly, you were on mute the whole time. I for one love Verizon services and would never complain needlessly like you guys. #PleaseDontShutDownMyInternet

In short, it's not Verizon's fault. It's nobody's fault. But it might be KimJongUnInternetLLC. Ooh look, a bird is chirping outside. I'm on a horse.
Re: YouTube videos won't run
cgardnerma

This is nonsense. My work account work fine which is in the same region. It works fine on my sisters Comcast account which is in the same region. Class action lawsuit coming. Verizon is either incompetent or they are throttling to cover their incompetence. -- probably both. I will be switching providers if it doesn't change shortly.

0 Likes
mgengman

FWIW -- just to add to the record -- YouTube useless much of the time on all devices with Verizon DSL.  Good speed tests, downloads okay, only YouTube that does not work.

0 Likes