Home Network - very slow computer response on 2nd computer on network
FJT109
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi all-

I posted on the FIOS forum about connection problems to my home network that was resolved.

Now that that issue is resolved, I have another and I hope this is the proper forum to ask...

It has to do with very slow response from my newly connected (Old) system. I have re-connected my old Gateway 5200S desktop that our family used for a couple of years a couple of years ago.... It runs XP pro with SP3. After I got it connected to my home network with a wireless adapter, I have cleaned out most of the old programs and have run Update to get as much updated autmatically as I can (as the computer has not been used for about 3 years)

I am noticing a noticeable slowdown in my compueter system- when I turn it on, it takes awhile to be "ready" for internet or running a program and even then, once connected to the internet, the system seems VERY slow to react and bring up my internet content- I have plenty of memory left and just installed Google Chrome (last used IE 7 0r 8 on the system). I assume that's the first step, but I am wondering what else I can do to improve performance? 

My current "newer" family desktop runs just fine without any noticeable slowdown, but it's a newer Dell and newer computer = faster response I know, but does anyone have any suggestions for getting the older Gateway "up to speed"?

I am considering upgrading the processor maybe memory as well, but maybe there is more to look at and I would like to hear suggestions before I go out buying random upgrading parts that might not be compatible...

Thanks for any suggestions

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Home Network - very slow computer response on 2nd computer on network
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

When you use a 13 year old computer you are at the mercy of the processor and memory of the time.Yes the computer will work but ir is going to work at a much slower pace than today's computers.

0 Likes
Re: Home Network - very slow computer response on 2nd computer on network
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Hi FJT:

Please consider getting another used  computer before "updating the one you have...it could well be less expensive and better performing.

I just did the following test on my iPad 2 (27.6 Gb Capacity) running iOS 8.2

Wireless Test   Server Location NYC  Mar 27,2015  11:50 am

Download 30.49 Mbps

Upload      23.15 Mbps

Latency    7 ms

iPad 2's should be quite "reasonable"

Let us know what you decide.

73's for now.

0 Likes