if i buy my own modem router will it work???. geesh
barnbiketom
Enthusiast - Level 3

can't connect to WIRED devices other than laptop or desktop. Been trying to get help for weeks. ready to go to roadrunner, it is outside the door. verizon seems not to care, no support options, and I "M NOT A ROCKET SCIENTIST

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: if i buy my own modem router will it work???. geesh
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

can't connect to WIRED devices other than laptop or desktop

What exactly are you talking about?  Please explain what issues you are having as your comments are rather vague.

Did you call Verizon Support?  Why do you say Verizon doesn't care?  What do you mean no support options?  You can call 888-553-1555 for support.

Please explain.

0 Likes
barnbiketom
Enthusiast - Level 3

ok..i hope this is not too vague..so here i go again

I have an actiontec gt704wg rev B  modem/router. it has wireless AND ethernet. the wireless works perfectly on 2 laptops, and the ethernet cable works but only on a desktop using any ports on the back of the router... perfectly. I also had a Sony Bluray player with integrated netflix,youtube etc apps.  that too worked great it worked for 5 months. that device was simply plug and play.

all of a sudden, I have lost access to netflix with the bluray player. I have SWITCHED CABLES, bought new cables. it is not the cable.

I have called suport 5 times. they have sent me TWO NEW ROUTERS. both do the same thing. the last time I called support, india told me they would need to charge me premium support because these routers now have the ports blocked and  verizon doesn't want me to have access. word for word.

the troubleshooting pages have NOTHING ON ETHERNET SETTINGS. PORT SETTINGS OR ANYTHING. Why is this so hard and why has this happened?? I apologize, but I have had nothing but problems one after another

0 Likes
Habbakuk
Enthusiast - Level 2

If it is a problem with the router/modem, then yes buying your own will work. I am always leary about using the modem or router that my ISP provides for me, I always buy my own.

Checking amazon and other sites, your modem router seems fickle and unreliable. There are many cheap wireless modem routers on the market that are much more popular and higher rated than the model you are using. I use a TP-Link TL-WR541G and it's wonderful.