Typical Router Distance in Home
drbwell

I just wanted to ask if there is a rule of thumb for the typical distance a Verizon Fios Router will reach with a good signal.  I have a wood framed duplex coop thats approx. 40 feet x 25 feet. The router is on the 2nd floor in a powder room off the main bedroom. Sometimes I go outdoors with my laptop or ipad and loose signal or only have 2 bars. What do you suggest? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Typical Router Distance in Home
ABN1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Everything will effect your signal strength.  From the building material, density, other electronics, etc.  I'd highly suggest moving your router around to see where you get better coverage.  Nothing beats some simple trial and error to see what will work best for you.

Allen

@drbwell wrote:

I just wanted to ask if there is a rule of thumb for the typical distance a Verizon Fios Router will reach with a good signal.  I have a wood framed duplex coop thats approx. 40 feet x 25 feet. The router is on the 2nd floor in a powder room off the main bedroom. Sometimes I go outdoors with my laptop or ipad and loose signal or only have 2 bars. What do you suggest? 

0 Likes
Re: Typical Router Distance in Home
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Having the wireless router on the second floor is good but is it located in the middle of the house?  Maybe you can locate it closer toward the area you want to cover.  Personally I have my router located in my home/office behind my attached garage.  This way the signal is great in the backyard and terrible toward the street, thus hopefully preventing anyone from attempted to hack.  

Make sure the antenna's are sticking straight up.  Also like the previous poster said there could be things causing interference such as neighbor wireless, cordless phone, microwave that may drop the signal strength.  

Does the signal drop so that speeds are noticeable?

0 Likes